What made you buy a Ranger?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hooligan, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I figured I would ask everyone why they chose to buy their Rangers. I will start it off!

When I was a kid, i delivered autoparts, and everyday I drove by a local Ford dealership. There was a yellow Splash there, and I stopped just about everyday to look at it. I was a kid, no credit, not alot of money and wanted a truck like that someday. Since then I set my goal to get a truck like the Splash, but ran into things that took priority over that. I got married at age 20, my daughter was born when I was 23, my son when I was 26 so the truck thing went on the back burner so I can take care of my family. At age 30, I got divorced, another setback, so I started my own Mobile Auto Detailing business and maintained my full time job to make up for losses and wanted to make sure my kids were going to be taken care of still.

The business did very well for 4 years, actually got bigger than I expected and with 4 employees plus myself, I still couldnt keep up so I was burned out and shut it down. The last year my business was up and running I started looking for the Ranger I always wanted. I looked all around, and I mean everywhere from locally to ebay! Then last March, I finally found the Ranger, I actually found it on ebay in Long Island NY. It wasn't a splash but a newer stepside! It was perfect from the stepside to even the color! I had some money set to the side for it, I haggled with the seller and got the price dropped 1,000.00. So after 17 years of waiting and a few minor setbacks, I got the truck I always wanted and then some because it even came with a superlift!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

I bought mine from a neighbor bc my SASed truck was too big to drive every day. I got it for $400 with cracked heads, bad head gaskets, transfer case motor bad, radiator bad, broken front 3rd member, bad hubs, and a bad spring hanger. The only plus it had was NO rust and already body lifted. I thought it was worthy

4. OP
    Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Wow, Thats a good deal man

5. 08 Ranger Sport 4X4

08 Ranger Sport 4X4 New Member

So I guess I have to start off with basically everyone in my family has either a Dodge truck or a something along those lines. They've always bought Dodge. So when I was looking for a truck, I was going to get a Dodge. But my first truck was given to me by my gpa. 1999 Nissan Frontier, not a bad truck, just too small for my tastes. So I started shopping around for a new truck about 2 years ago, saving up money as the time passed. 2 Summers ago I started working for my friends dad's masonry company. They all drive Fords. My friends dad has a 2002 F-350 dump truck which I got to drive almost everyday to work. This thing is a beast. He had a 95 F-150 that he sold when he bought an 07. My friend also has a Ranger. So all this time spending with them and their truck I started to really like Fords. This past summer I went a on a search for a 4x4 5 speed ranger. It took me about 4-5 months to find the one I really wanted. I'm from Ohio, the truck was in Wisconsin, but it was 3 grand less than basically the same ranger was here, so I made the trip. Never regreted a second. So I guess you can say it was my old boss and one of my long time friends that made me want to get a Ranger. On a side note, if I didn't get a Ranger I would have gotten a 03 F250 exteded cab 4X4 with the 7.3 turbo diesel.

6. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Forgot to mention, my family is all CHEVY lovers! My grandfather owned a chevy dealership for 30ish years before he retired:eek: Hence my sig saying 'black sheep o' the family'

7. OP
    Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

LOL, It all makes sense now!

8. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

i actually bought mine because i was looking for a truck that was good on gas mileage and could still do everything i wanted to. the only thing that i had in mind was that i wanted a stick shift. went and looked at a couple of other trucks but they really didnt soot me. then i seen my ranger. i fell in love with it. then i talked to the dealer and found out it was a stick test drove it the same day and ended up putting some money for him to hold it and then went and picked it up as a b-day gift to myself. best b-day gift i ever got myself.....

9. TurdFX4

TurdFX4 Schuylkill Countys Finest

I got my Ranger because I had a Sonoma... enough said

10. OP
    Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Eeeeeeewwwwww

11. 08 Ranger Sport 4X4

08 Ranger Sport 4X4 New Member

x1000000

12. well, it's like this, I had a chevy v8 2wd silverado and knew I was going to need 4x4 again. So I saw this on a car lot in town and they liked my chevy truck and gave me what I was asking for my truck so I now own this ranger, it is my second ranger, bought the first one brand spankin new in 1985 man have they come a long way since then.lol I like this ranger a lot but thought it would have gotten better mpg then 18-21

13. wyman00

wyman00 5.0 Ranger driver

Everytime I visited my brothers house I saw this ranger just sitting in his yard. At first I didn't pay any attention to it, but it grew on me and I thought it was a decent deal. It was his father in laws' truck and he didn't use it. He had it for sale for $3500. I picked it up for $2000 and he let me make payments.

14. DiabloBlanco

DiabloBlanco Those Damn Kids

I bought a ranger because Ford. lol

15. flaresidexlt

flaresidexlt officer meoff,jack

this truck was bought brand new off the lot, it was my brothers for about a year then he got a job with lots of traveling and i wanted to get a new car/truck after graduating high school. so he just gave me the truck to pick up payments were he left off and i gave him my 95 Honda civic for a trade in. i have to say my brother is one cool dude for doing that for me. so now im a huge ford fan and an even bigger ranger fan only problem with my brother is he drives a car now..... have to get him back on the ford truck road again

16. Black mamba

Black mamba The mannnn

Wow! Some amazing stories guys!! Well heres mine.....
    I was 16 and just obtained my permit when I got news that my first vehical was a wrecked 89 that was sitting in a field out by my house and me and my father wer to redo it... I was pumped.. It was a2wd 4cyl 5 speed work truck but the more we did the more I grew to love it.. I had that thing for about 1 1/2 years before I blew it up.... I miss her but I had some money saved and hunted for a truck that would live up to my 89s rep. I found her in my current 2000 ranger she was bone stock when I got her... No longer lol, .... I still have my little 89s floor mats in my 00 beast![​IMG]

17. Black mamba

Black mamba The mannnn

18. OP
    Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Wow man, Awesome work on that!!!

19. Black mamba

Black mamba The mannnn

Thanks bro.... I miss her:( I changed the engine in her and the god damm oil pump went 2 months later:(((

20. OP
    Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

That sucks dude

21. jacobxstanley

jacobxstanley Michigan Ranger Driver

it was last year and i was looking for a truck that i could make money working with, my grandpa did buy a first gen dakota for me but the motor was sooooo screwed. after i lost hope on that, i started searching for trucks. i knew i wanted an older style truck, and thats when i decided after a few weeks of searching to turn off the "must have image" thing or whatever on craigslist. after a couple minutes i found a gen 2 ranger that was mechanic owned and was looking for a new home, but i was taking a big risk because there wasnt a picture so i had no clue what it was going to look like. i called the guy, and i went out to a not so great neighborhood at around 10:00 at night. $800 i owned my ranger, which starting next week will be driven daily :D