Torsion bar lift

Discussion in 'Suspension Tech' started by seriouscoin1, Apr 2, 2012.

1. 03walkalot

03walkalot New Member

Has anyone on this forum actually put a readylift kit on their Ranger? Would really like to hear first hand experience.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Which kit? My shop has dealt with readylift a lot.

4. 03walkalot

03walkalot New Member

Yea guess i should have been more specific! Duh! The new torsion bar keys for an 04 4x4 xlt to level it. I've heard all kinds of bad reviews but not from someone who has actually installed them on their vehicle and has been running them for a while.

5. 06FordFX4

06FordFX4 Canadian Redneck

keys are essentially a waste of money. you get the exact same effect from simply turning the bolts. and its free.

now, as for negative effects, if you only do it enough to level the truck, there wont be any negative effets. its when you max the bars out that you start to have issues.

i have had my ranger levelled for over 20,000 miles now, and there are no ill effects.

6. 03walkalot

03walkalot New Member

Thank you sir that is the sort of reviews I was looking for!

7. 06FordFX4

06FordFX4 Canadian Redneck

no problem.

i got banned on another site for saying the exact same thing i did above lmao.

8. stillwater

stillwater New Member

The Ranger I recently bought is higher in the front than in the back. Previous owner put smaller tires up front from another vehicle to even it up. He thought they must have put F-150 front torsion bars on it, I'm much more inclined to believe they turned the torsion bars tighter, thus the extra height. It's higher in front than the rear, I don't like it.

And I've seen it mentioned in this thread that taking them too far down will screw it up badly.
    Can anyone tell me how many turns from the bottom would bring my front end back to the stock height?
    I don't want it up there, stock height is fine with me.

9. stillwater

stillwater New Member

And after I do this, I need stock height shocks. I've seen several different measurements available, apparently for trucks raised different amounts. Any idea what the stock shock length is on a 2WD 98 Ranger Std. Cab XLT with the 2.5 Four cylinder?

Update- Called local parts store, stock height for a Heavy Duty front shock is 9.45in.
    so that may give me a baseline for how much drop will level it

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  10. Dchad53

Dchad53 Member

I used the keys on my 05. It puts lese strain on the torsion bar and the truck right smoother. You can crank up the bolts
    but you are winding the torsion bar tighter (harsher ride) Keys are cheap and not expensive to have installed. My 05
    sits level, rides well and does not wear tires or shocks out.