Torsion bar lift

Discussion in 'Suspension Tech' started by seriouscoin1, Apr 2, 2012.

1. seriouscoin1

seriouscoin1 New Member

Hey guys, so I got curious and decided to look up info on a torsion bar lift. As far as I have seen all you have to do is turn 2 bolts a few times and it lifts it... Is this safe? How many turns is safe? How do I tell if its already been done? How many inch's of lift can I expect? Just thought I would ask before doing it and effin something up. Thanks guys!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Its safe, lift the front end off the ground and turn the screws in. Measure the distances once you are done turning them to make sure the are even. You can get close to 2" of lift without maxing them out. When the torsion bars are cranked, it adds stress on the CV's leaving the more vulnerable to blowing out due to the angle. You will have to get the truck aligned afterwards...that is a must!! You can turn them all the way in to see how far they can go, then back them out to where you want to be. Soak the bolts for a few days with PB blaster or something similar so you dont snap the bolts.

4. About three full turns of the bolt is about all you can do. At most, you'll get about 2", but you'll need to have an alignment done afterwards. It could also possibly cause your tires to wear unevenly too if the garage doesn't align it right

5. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

hell i got 9 turns out of my tbars lol...and got about 2 inches....#1 Bars FTW

6. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

oh a side question what would happen if you turn them the opposite way would it lower the front of the truck?

7. You'd run into a ****load of problems... Don't even try it

8. hazard-maine

i wasnt gonna try, i just always wanted to know what would happen, and what problems would you get?

9. Blown CVs, horrible tire wear, shocks would wear out... Basically it would ruin your front end way faster than cranking them up would.

10. hazard-maine

ahhh i see that sounds horrible

11. Yeah, definitely wouldn't advise it...

12. hazard-maine

unless you dont care about your truck, then go for it

13. Alright, enough with that lol Back on topic

14. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

youre fine with cranking the bars on the stock keys...its the aftermarket lift keys where you run into trouble

15. El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!

Its a pretty straight forward procedure. The best way Iv heard to do it is jack your truck up 2 inches off the ground making sure its level, then crank the tbars til the tires touch the ground. Then theyre even!

16. That's not necessarily true. Keep in mind that the front suspension drops because the weight of the engine and truck isn't on it anymore. So it may not be completely accurate.

17. El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!

You gotta good point lol

18. 03walkalot

03walkalot New Member

Torsion lift

Ok, here goes my first post. I have read all the pros and cons for cranking the torsion bars and have decided it's not worth the risk and wear. What does the forum know about the "Readylift" leveling kits? Looks to this rookie like it is a good option for just getting a 2+" lift out of the front end without risking damage to CVs and the rest, Group thoughts?

As a second part to this question the goal is to run 31X9.50R16s, Has anyone else crossed this bridge with these kits?
    Thanks
    Karl

19. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Torsion bar crank is the way to go. You can use keys to lift it, but it does the same. I would think most guys here that have lifted trucks have cranked their torsion bars. If you want a little more on the truck, Run 32" tires, they are more common, cheaper and look great with a little lift. If you dont want to crank the torsion bars, there is always going the body lift route.

20. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

I ran 32's stock and if you want to spend the money go for it, but I'd take 30mins of my day and 50 bucks for an alignment anyday over hassling with a kit, which you still have to get a front end alignment afterwards. Your decision, your truck, your money.

21. 03walkalot

03walkalot New Member

Stacy,
    Thanks, Thats the kind of input I need. Gonna explore all options and ask lots of questions, like the old saying, measure twice cut once!
    Karl