Mustang dome nothing works???

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by 03walkalot, Nov 11, 2012.

1. 03walkalot

03walkalot New Member

Ok, I got the mustang dome light, bought three new bulbs. I got three separate sets of instructions on how to wire the thing up and reviewed all three before starting. They all were pretty much the same. Installed the dome and it worked. Then I tried to wire in the third brake light with cargo lts also with new bulbs and that did not work only the brake light worked now the dome light and the map lights will not work? Took it all apart and rechecked it and still nothing. I checked the green/orange wire behind the dash switch with a meter and got no reading. Reinstalled the original dome light and it doesn't work either. Checked all the fuses in the box and they are all good. I just spent 6 hours on this SOB At this point I'm ready to give up:furious:. I need help, anyone got any idea where to go from here?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    03walkalot

03walkalot New Member

WAIT!!!!! OK my bad, I took a break drank a beer, then rechecked everything. It was getting dark and I was getting pissed, didn't look close enough, fuse 13 was bad and I missed it. Dome works fine now haven't tried the cargo lights yet have to rewire that. What a dumbass.......

4. ob269

ob269 New Member

Lol it always helps to step back, take a breath, and have a beer.. glad you figured it out though..

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2

5. OP
    03walkalot

03walkalot New Member

Cargo lights still not working

Thanks you would think at my age I would have figured that out by now! LOL Anyway, the cargo lights are still a no go, I can't figure this one out, everything laid out as instructed, connections are good but still no joy?? Now I'm stumped???:help:

6. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

How did you hook the Cargo Light up.

7. Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

Did you check the cargo light by opening the door and by the switch?
    What year is the truck? I have schematics for every year up to 2009.

8. OP
    03walkalot

03walkalot New Member

Thanks for the quick replies. I have an 04 XLT 4x4. After tapping into the Blk/Pk wire on the light assembly I ran the lead into the dome light attaching it with a ring to what would be the passenger side rear screw on the light as indicated in the instructions.... Nothing. Opened and closed both doors, used the dimmer switch....Nothing.
    Is there another way to wire them direct from a switch? Is there another wire in the access panel I can tap into for constant power or will I have to run it from the battery? Really appreciate this guys! Gotta get the truck back together in the next 12 hrs to get to work.

9. Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

Here is the 04 dome wiring. I would tap into the BLK/LB wire.

[​IMG]

10. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

See...beer always makes things better! I think you can run the cargo lamp to the stang light. Tap it into the OEM power wire for the cargos

11. OP
    03walkalot

03walkalot New Member

Thanks guys will be checking this out this morning.......

12. OP
    03walkalot

03walkalot New Member

Nuthin.....

Well tried all the suggestions, which I really appreciate but still nothing? even ran a direct hot wire to the cargo light lead and nuthin.... Is it possible there is something bad within the sockets or the ground wire broken??? Has anyone run into this? It's the same ground as the brake light so I am really stuck???? Help me Mr Wizzard...............:hang:

13. Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

Bad bulbs?? Even new ones can be bad. Verify the ground.

14. OP
    03walkalot

03walkalot New Member

Swapped out both cargo bulbs with the brake light and they both worked. It is something with the two cargo lights. don't know where to go next except may wire in two new sockets and see if they work? Anyone have a suggestion? (I'm not giving up so "put the old one back in" is not an option LOL)

15. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

it could be bad internals in the mustang dome itself. did it work before you tried to plug in the 3rd brake light.

16. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

So, did you or did you not originally have cargo light ?

How exactly did you wire them ?

Sometimes the ground switching is pita !

17. OP
    03walkalot

03walkalot New Member

Did not try to hook it up directly before wiring into the dome. No on the original cargo lights, I had a solid red brake light. I followed the instruction provided here on RF and from FRF, ended up with three sets of instructions but they were all pretty much the same. There was only one wire to what I am (heres a word I hate) assuming is the hot wire blk/blu, then the blk ground and the Blk/Pk going to the three light assembly. I tapped into the Blk/Pk as the instructions advised and attached to the dome as instructed.....and so here we are, batting 000......I am not an electrician and I don't play one on tv but I did graduate from Trial-N-Error University with a minor in light bulb repair...

18. Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

Back to basics.
    Do you have access to a multimeter? Can you operate one? No offense intended.
    Check the continuity and resistance from each pin(in the bulb socket) to the pins on the connector.
    Black/blue is the correct hot wire from the dome switch.
    Maybe post a couple photos of the connections and it would help us figure this out.
    Look on the door tag for the month/year build date of your truck. If it's an early 2004, it may be wired to 2003 specs. The black/blue wire should still work for the lights.

Scrambler,
    According to the schematic, it's not a switched ground. I posted the official Ford schematic on page 1 of this thread.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  19. OP
    03walkalot

03walkalot New Member

Back to Basics

Sorry been working. Um Multimeter, no I don't and I'd be lost if I did have one being electrically challenged both in electric speak and componets. I will check the door tag for build date and thanks for the schematic but this old dog will need to be walked through it. I really appreciate the time patients. I can wire up a claymore but this electrical stuff kicks my butt.:blink:

20. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Any luck along the way or in between working to figure this out.

A multimeter is simple believe me but if you have never used one then understandable.
    Maybe just a 12V probe will work to locate power, the trick will be to make notes about what you find, label wiring to keep it straight and then apply wht you find to the new lighting, inside and out.

21. Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

Old and simple test. remove cargo/brake light harness. Connect ground wire to negative on battery. Then touch each of the other two power wires, one at a time to the positive terminal. One wire should light the brake and one should light the cargo lights. That will test the light fixture.

If you pull your dome light the whole way out, You probably have only one wire going to it. What color is it? If you have 2 wires what colors are they? Do you know what a tap connector is? It is a "splice" connector that you squeeze over an existing wire to tap a new wire off of it. My plan is once you give us the wire colors, I will tell you which wire to splice into to power the cargo light.

Link to utube vid.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sGbES2_Tg0[/ame]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012