Idling issue

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by mr1996ranger, Feb 11, 2012.

1. mr1996ranger

mr1996ranger New Member

hey guys i have a 1996 ranger single cab 2.3l i4 and ive been having an idling issue. when it wamrs up to operating temperature the idle either gets really roguh wen sitting still or really high wen everyday driving. i was told that it was the IAC so ive cleaned it twice and the problem goes away for a while then comes back. i recently replaced it thinking it will sovle it and it still does it -__-. idk wat else to try or check can u help me out?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Try a fuel filter and a tuneup.

4. OP
    mr1996ranger

mr1996ranger New Member

i have replaced the fuel filter about three months ago.... and wat kind of tune-up?

5. Try an injector cleaner. Seafoam it and see if that helps.

6. Brinker88

^That, and tune-up, as in cap/rotor, plugs (dont bother with the exhaust side plugs) wires, etc.

7. OP
    mr1996ranger

mr1996ranger New Member

okay thanks ill try that and see wat happens.

8. Good luck!

9. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Is it possible the throttle cable needs lubrication? That make the throttle race after driving it if it gets stuck a little

10. OP
    mr1996ranger

mr1996ranger New Member

i just got done working on it today. i replaced the plugs and wires and checked/ replaced any dry rotted vacuum lines. took it for a drive and it still does it just not as bad. no engine light either. ive run out of options -__-

11. Franchi Motorsports

Franchi Motorsports Ranger Forum Vendor

DId you make sure the plugs were gapped correctly?

12. Brinker88

O2 sensors and EGR valve would do the funky idlng. Think about it. The egr might get stuck open when it gets hot, letting exhaust gas into the engine all the time making the engine studder.

13. OP
    mr1996ranger

mr1996ranger New Member

okay will a check engine light come up if either one is bad?

14. Brinker88

MOST times they will, sometimes they wont. Also, check all your vaccuum lines, pcv valve etc.

15. OP
    mr1996ranger

mr1996ranger New Member

well i found the problem. the EGR valve was clogged with carbon which made it stick when the motor heated up.. cleaned it and runs like a dream now. but thanks for all the tips they all had some kind of improvement

16. No problem. Glad you got it fixed!

17. Brinker88

Awsome! Glad you fixed it. That's what forums are here for. Yea, we b/s and joke around a bit, but in the end, we're here to help.

18. OP
    mr1996ranger

mr1996ranger New Member

okay guys so the problem went away for a whole two days. it still idles rough at a stop but not as frequently and not as roguh as before i cleaned my EGR valve. the EGR valve was so bad that the carbon came off like paint chips. i cleaned it with everything i could and got all the carbon off as i culd. truck has 140k miles on it and im thinking the EGR vlave is too far gone and needs to be replaced... what do u guys think?

19. Could possibly be the problem. Did you try seafoming it?

20. OP
    mr1996ranger

mr1996ranger New Member

no im really not that familiar with seafoam. ive seen it b4 but i dont know enough about it really.

21. Brinker88

Replace it. They're cheap(ish) and a relatively straight forward job. Get the engine hot before you try replacing it (take it for a drive). Pull it in the garage and undo the EGR line going to the exhaust manifold. Then unbolt the 2 bolts from the intake manifold. Remove the vacuum lines. and installation is reverse of removal