brakes went out ( not fun at 70 mph )

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by Captured Time, Nov 20, 2011.

1. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

you could do it that way if you have an extra set of hands to help... if you do it the lowering way you just have to keep an eye on the master cylinder making sure it doesnt go empty.... it should take you around 2-5 minutes to bleed them instead of 15 or so pumping them up.....

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

ok so i open the bleaders up and set the truck down till the fluid starts to come out then tighten em back up right

4. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

let the fluid flow for a little bit to make sure all the little air bubbles are out.... and you will lower the truck without the wheels on..... and then after you are certain there is no more air tighten the bleeders jack back up put wheels on and clean up.... and then admire your handy work....

5. OP
    Captured Time

ok sounds easy at least easer than doing the heads last month

6. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

yeah a lot easier than the head job you did last month..... i think it's 7 bolts and the brake line.... adn of course you have to loosen the rear shoes and pull them off the wheel cylinder.... i'm almost certain you cna move them enough to get the cylinders out without pulling them completely off..... but i could be wrong....

7. OP
    Captured Time

well i got me a haynes manuual so i should be good it helps to find ppl that has done it before over thwe book some time lol

8. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

You are more than likely gonna have to change the shoes too. The same thing happened to me last month and the brake fluid ate away my shoes like they were never there

9. if unsure take pictures of how the springs look you might need it, it will help
    chk your brake line at the fitting too might have a rust spot since you are in the rustbelt area of the country

10. Demon

Demon I take no prisoners!

Ahuh

11. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Ah....the woes of drum brakes that I'll never know of anymore :D

I love my 4 wheel disc!

12. SUCK IT! Hahahahahaha I haven't had any problems since I yanked my ebrake out of mine, so hopefully it stays that way lol.

13. OP
    Captured Time

ok here's the deal yall.. i pulled off the cover and before i go to far i found a cable that was loose and just hanging. from what i can see it hooks on the bottom and loops up on the right side im not shure but that may be what went wrong

14. That's your adjuster cable. Hang on, I'll see if I can get a pic of mine up...

15. I must have deleted them from my phone... There should be a little half moon shaped thing with the end of one of the springs through it. You're gonna need a lot of strength to put the adjuster back on top of the half moon shaped retainer.

16. Brinker88

17. There we go lol So much cleaner than mine xD

18. Brinker88

^That's a jeep btw with a Chrysler 8.25 but you get the point

19. They're all set up virtually the same. lol

20. OP
    Captured Time

well after all dang day working ( just on the right side ) it looks as if i may need to put new lines in :( the line i the cylinder is so rusted on there i cant get it off with out rounding out the head

21. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

did you try with a line wrench or just an open end wrench?