WTB PC Power Supplies (ky)

Discussion in 'Ranger Forum Classifieds' started by buggman, Nov 23, 2011.

1. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

Just wanted to see if anyone has some old power supplies laying around that they no longer need.

I found one 250w psu in a PC that I took apart & it's a good start but I need a couple more to connect the 5v outputs together so I can get 15v+/- at a higher amperage output. Most of the 12v outputs I've tested actually only output 11.5v or less & that's not quite enough for what I'm going for.

I've got a couple projects in mind where I need a few PC psu's. I'd like to find some in the 300w + range, but if the price is right (or you'd like to trade something) I might be interested in some 200w or so psu's too.

Not too picky if they're from an AT, ATX, mini ATX, etc.
    Let me know what you've got & maybe we can make a deal :yes:

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

if you told me more of what im looking for and pictures of it i might be able to help you

4. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

5. hazard-maine

ohh okay pictures are better

6. i gotta 160watt if interested I don't remember why I have it may or may not work. yours if you wanna pay postage

7. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

yeah he was testing my led ring i purchased from him and one of his power supplies fried and ended up zapping a couple of the leds and so he had to start over just about...... cant wait til i get it in and am able to put it on my truck......

8. OP
    buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

Just a basic atx style power supply...

[​IMG]

# of fans doesn't matter either. I'm probably gonna pull out all the guts from 3 of them and make a bigger enclosure for all of them.

I've been playing with an old psu from an old pc, but the 12v output is just under 12v. I've heard you can connect 3 psu's 5v outputs together in series to obtain 15v+/- at a high amperage. It worked with some outdoor lighting transformers I've been experimenting with, but I ended up with over 30v at 5a+. I need to come up with a way to drop the 30v down below 20v before it hits my adjustable voltage circuits to keep the heat down.

Like he said, I was burning in klinger's ring & my "store bought" power supply decided it wanted to randomly change voltages from 9v to 20v and screwed up some led's :( Luckily, I have several small power supplies made from wall-wart power adapters, but they're limited to about 1a output. Some of the stuff I make needs 3a or more to properly test.

I was hoping to find some old pc's at the thrift stores around here, but nobody takes in old computers anymore, so I'm S.O.L. there :cry:

Heck, if I could find an entire pc tower, I might use that to house all the power supplies.... it figures, I just threw an old pc chassis away earlier this year.

Diablo, let me know how much you need for your psu whenever you have time & we'll see what we can come up with :thumbsup:

9. your for free just shipping ,sent a pm

10. hazard-maine

im in maine here about 10 miles away there is this place called pc junk yard, and by the title of it you can guess what its full of, too bad you didnt live up here