woodworking questions...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RoadRanger, Apr 22, 2012.

1. RoadRanger

RoadRanger -Skylark65-

i've got a couple of questions for the woodworking guys on here, i've got an old end table i would like to strip and re-finish so it'll match the rest of my old furnature, but the last time i did any woodworking was my freshman year of high-school, about 6+ years ago.

my first question is, what is the best method to strip layers of old finish off? the end table i've got has the original finish covered by an ugly poo brown metallic paint. i want to strip all the finish off and start over.

next question is, what is my best method for applying the stain followed by a couple of coats of polyurethane finish. if i recall the stain gets applied with a brush, but i can't remember what to use for the polyurethane?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

i uselly just strip the top clear coat with paint thinner, then use rough to ulta fine grain sandpaper untill your to the bare wood and that the wood is nice and smooth, and yes many people use brush to put stain on, but i prefer to use a rag for it, the rag gives it an older look to the stain because its not a prefect and the brush and its easier to apply, and you use a brush to apply the polyurethane

4. OP
    RoadRanger

RoadRanger -Skylark65-

thanks for the info man. i thought i remembered applying the polyurethane with a rag back in woodshop, but now that you mention it i think it was the stain.

would you reccomend using a palm sander when i go to sand it down, or should i just do it by hand?

5. hazard-maine

deffently palm sander, but if you can make sure its and orbital sander, it will take less time and do a cleaner job

6. The Browning Ranger

The Browning Ranger Doinwhaticanwithwhatigot

for applying polyurithane i use a brush, il post pics of a gun stock i redid useing polyurathane. Id do at least three coats of polyurithane. The first coat will appear rough and dull. Then id get some verry fine sandpaper and lightly sand to get out any bubbles. Then repeat the procces until the polyurathane dies smooth and shiney.

7. hazard-maine

i like to use spary polyurathane when i can

8. The Browning Ranger

The Browning Ranger Doinwhaticanwithwhatigot

9. hazard-maine

here some on my urathan work
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

Sometimes I'll use a gel paint stripper for the bulk removal, sometimes I'll just use a random orbit sander.

I like using brush on poly then #0000 steelwool or 400g sandpaper between coats. Finish up by hand rubbing with soft towels to a smooth finish.