Whistling sound?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 06FordFX4, Jun 14, 2013.

1. 06FordFX4

06FordFX4 Canadian Redneck

Hey folks, have a strange whistle sound when I'm accelerating. Most noticeable when at speeds of 45-65 MPH. And it's only when accelerating.

Just started happening outta nowhere.
    Have checked things like air intake tue for leaks and what not, haven't found anything.

Will have to look close when in not at work. But, any other ideas? Gotta be something power train/drivetrain related as its only when stepping on the accelerator. I it was wind whipping around something like the mirror or window or lights I have it would be constant and not only when in the gas

So, any ideas? I'll try and get a video but my damn exhaust drowns it out when I play it back lmao.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Diablo

Diablo New Member

In my years of vehicle ownership and listening to my teachers in physics class
    whistling can only be produced by small hole when air is passed through it.

So I would look for vacuum leak, intake leak, window seal, and maybe you are hearing alternator squeal, if so check belts etc..

4. OP
    06FordFX4

Will check those closely when it's not storming haha.

Just to add, it sounds like its coming from behind me, on the left. Which is strange.

5. OP
    06FordFX4

Checked everything, there's no air leaking into anything that would cause it, it's definitely drivetrain related.

Would low fluid, or worn out fluid in the rear diff cause it? It's more of a deep whistle high pitched humming, if that makes sense.

Rotated tires, checked brakes and all that last night. Aside from some brake dust there wasn't anything amiss. Only thing I can see now is maybe rear diff? Or would u joints make that kinda sound? I can't see that happening though. I dunno.

Don't really wanna take it into the dealer. Buggers will charge me a ton before fixing anything just to look at it.

6. OP
    06FordFX4

got a video. seems to be getting worse so im limiting my driving till i can figure out what it is, and fix it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-656NpxPv0[/ame]

7. OP
    06FordFX4

buddy on another forum suggested i check the pinion bearing, after watching youtube videos, it sounds very familiar