Which ball joints to get?

Discussion in 'Maintenance Shop' started by Redneck_ranger, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Alright, so I'm going to have to order upper joints for my truck within the next week or else I'm going to end up rolled and in a ditch when they finally give out. I found these for the driver's side uppers, http://www.summitracing.com/search/Year/2001/Make/FORD/Model/RANGER/Department/Chassis-Suspension/Part-Type/Ball-Joints/Submodel/XLT/Drivetrain/4WD/Ball-Joint-Position/Driver-side-front-upper/?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

and these for the passenger side upper...
    http://www.summitracing.com/search/...ition/Passenger-side-front-upper/?Ns=Rank|Asc

If anyone can give me a little insight, or something different to get then please tell me. I'm working on an extremely limited budget of $110 this week, so I can't afford all new control arms and that crap. I noticed that the bottom option I have listed won't fit the factory arms, so does that leave me with just the top option?

EDIT: Found some control arms with them included. Any of these work? I know that the passenger side is a two piece, but I was eyeing up the one piece replacement to keep it cleaner looking.... http://www.summitracing.com/search/...rain/4WD/Ball-Joint-Included/Yes/?Ns=Rank|Asc

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Hands down, MOOG. Rockauto.com for best prices.

Lowers : MOOG Part # K80771 ($25 @ RockAuto)
    Upper Driver : MOOG Part # K8708T ($50 @ RockAuto)
    Upper Pass : MOOG Part # K80068 ($76 @ RockAuto)

Prices came way down since I bought them in '08. Moog doesn't make the 2-piece design for the passenger side like your truck and my truck used to have. Listed above is the newer 1-piece found on newer trucks.

Unfortunately, to do uppers you are REQUIRED to purchase control arms with them. The reason is because the BJ is built into the arm. Moog arms have replaceable joints in them.

[​IMG]

EDIT: you WILL have to get an alignment after installation. And no blaming torsion bars and no more saying all your components are good. Clearly they're not judging by this thread. lol.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  4. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

im with shane...moog is the only way to go

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Agreed 100%!! Get them from Rockauto.com, they are cheaper than most plus the moog performers are greasable. Shane has used them, I have them on my truck and they are highly recommended by alot of people.

6. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

I talked to a buddy this morning and he's getting me MOOG greasable uppers for $66 and change for each side and new bushings for em too. And Shane, they're a contributing factor dammit! lol

7. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

I have to get new ball joints too. When I do my lift I figure I'm gonna replace my whole front end. Let me know what you end up doing and what the total comes out to

8. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

I'm getting an employee rate, so it will be a lot less than what I would normally pay. For the ball joints and control arms, it's going to be about $125 for both, and another $30 for the bushings if they don't come with

9. 08 Ranger Sport 4X4

08 Ranger Sport 4X4 New Member

great info in here. subscribed for when I replace mine.

10. 01B3000

01B3000 ORIGINAL Portable Seizure

Moog, by far, thats what i did on mine when i did the spindles

11. RoadRanger

RoadRanger -Skylark65-

i would also suggest the moog grease-able balljoints from rockauto, good quality product, great price, and the shipping was fast as hell.

12. pooleo

pooleo New Member

You can get them from advance auto online and use code VISA to get drivers side for $115 (uppers and lowers) and passanger side for $118. All moog parts.