turbo 2.3L

Discussion in '1989 - 1992 Ford Ranger' started by Ham-Bone, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Ham-Bone

Ham-Bone New Member

hey just wondering if anyone has placed a turbo on there 2.3L ir has heard of such a think lol i am just a fool that likes tinkering .. (that and i wanna blow the doors of my friends 91 plymouth laser turbo that he wont shut up about) :p

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bill

Bill New Member

We had 650 2.3L turbo t-brids that we maintained back in 1985. Tons of fun and yes you will win any race out there. Maintenance tip, keep clean oil in it and if replacing the turbo, remove and flush the oil lines.

4. OP
    Ham-Bone

Ham-Bone New Member

ya that plan died lol sold the motor today for 300 bucks my buddy needed it for his daughters ranger .. she needed a vehical to go to university

5. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter REAL TRUCKS HAVE 3 PEDALS

iv seen a couple on cardomain...but why go with a turbo and be like all the rice burners on the road id go with a v8

6. OP
    Ham-Bone

Ham-Bone New Member

well i wanted to smoke a ricer that wouldn't shut up about his turbo 4 banger so i wanted to show him up with a turbo 4-banger TRUCK the perfect ricer sleeper a little ranger lol

7. Vinnie

Vinnie 09 Ranger XL

can we get rid of this spammer?

8. preranger

preranger New Member

I'm also considering going the turbo route with my 89 ranger. I'm looking to make about 300hp at the flywheel. I want to keep my 2.3 and have been told that some of the rotating assembly will have to be upgraded. I was just wondering what all would need an upgrade. If anyone has any tips, tricks, or links to this information I would be eternally grateful.

9. craigsranger2007

craigsranger2007 New Member

If you want to turbo the 2.3, you are alot better off finding a 2.3 Turbo out of a Merkur, SVO, or T-Bird. The blocks where designed for the turbo application, so they are thicker and already have forged pistons. The best thing you could do for the 2.3 is the head, port and polish the intake runners, open up the combustion chamber, and some bigger valves and bigger cam shaft. You will have to get bigger injectors too. Make sure you have the oil cooler as well, it will be a bad day if you don't. I have seen the 2.3 make 350 HP without a turbo. If you wanna do the bottom end, that is always a plus. If you wanna go that route too, make sure you have a large journal 2.3 block and bore it out .030 and swap in the rotating assembly out of a 2.5 block. Esslinger ( http://www.esslingeracing.com/ ) sells a kit that is the same thing, but the made it where it can do a small journal swap too and the parts are nicer and more expensive.

10. preranger

preranger New Member

The 2.3 Ranger is gonna be a show/race truck. I've started swapping f/s ttb suspension and steering onto it.