Towing wiring harness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Redneck_ranger, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Okay, so I might be towing a little Honda to my cousin's, and my wiring harness is shot. What's the factory spec one? I currently have a 3-prong 1 ground harness that was installed by the previous owner. The wires are completely different than the ones coming from the truck... Pics and advice are much appreciated.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Anybody wanna throw me a bone with this?

4. factory spec I thought was a 4 flat and that is what you have. the towing package would be a round 7 pin connector

let me see if I still have some pics when I did mine

5. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Okay. Do you know what I would need for a tbar trailer as for wiring?

6. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Doesn't the trailer come with lights? lol
    And I'm not sure what kind of trailer it's going to be because the car has no struts.

7. are you renting a trailer or a tow dolly or a tow bar ?

8. if you are using a trailer it more than likely should have a set of lights, you will have to see if it has a 4 flat connector or the round connector.

If using a tow dolly they usually have lights and generally use a 4 flat/

if using a tow bar YOU supply the lights like the ones from harbor frieght

9. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Alright then. I'll see what I can get lol I told my buddy to supply the trailer, so hopefully he gets the right one. I need a new harness anyways, but I should be able to use the plug from my lightbar too, right? If it's a 4 pin?

10. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Uhhh, don't have any right now. The kit I got from LMC came with an extra harness in case you had to wire it directly in to the towing harness. I did this because my trailer hookup is bad. It has the same female end to plug into the trailer hookup, so I'm assuming it would work either way.

11. here is a pic of the 7 pole round I installed.
    it also has the 4 flat connector built in it

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
  12. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Alright, thanks. How is it to install the 7 pin? Same four wires to splice in, or is there more?

13. if the trailer has trailer brakes there are more wires for power to a couple of the pins
    but if no trailer brakes just the 4 wires for lights are fine.

I wired in a brake controler also so incase I tow another trailer that has brakes I have it there already, my camper has brakes and it makes towing and stopping much better.
    It really is easy to wire them up

14. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Alright, awesome. Hopefully I only need the 4 pin plug so I could just use my lightbar's plug lol Thanks Craig!

15. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3bW_bXtx2E[/ame]

this is the type I used on my truck