Toolbox mounting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Redneck_ranger, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Okay, so I pulled my toolbox off today, so I can remount it further back when I get my CB antennas. The passenger side has been loose for a while, but I didn't really think much of it... Tonight, when I unbolted it, I noticed the top was slightly bent, the bolts were stripped out of their holes, and the holes were bent outwards, like somebody tried to rip it off of the truck... In my neighborhood, I wouldn't be surprised.... Especially since aluminum is going up in price again.... Anybody have any suggestions as how to remount it, without the risk of someone being able to rip it off again? I know Kobalt (which is the brand of the box) has a mounting kit that I wouldn't have to drill through the bed, but would that be more secure than bolting it through the metal of the bed?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I usually drill through the bed to mount mine. I didnt do it on the one I have on now but all the others were drilled straight through and there was no getting that thing off!!

4. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

That's how I had it, but no nuts on the bottom.

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Put some on and use air tools to tighten them up

6. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

I don't have any air tools lol I'm gonna get some 1/2" bolts and make it so tight that air tools wouldn't even help. xD On another note, how did you seal it up? Mine has slits in it for the bolts, and I just used caulk on it hahaha

7. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Silicone works well, get the clear stuff!

8. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Alrighty buddy. I'll get some lol Thanks man.

9. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

thats what she said lol

i just mounted then cover the bolts with rubber heat they wont come off

10. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

I used some big carriage bolts with the round portion of the head on the underside of the bed sides so there's nothing for the bad guys to grab onto. Used 4 bolts total with big fender washers inside the toolbox. The only way anybody is getting my box off is if they take the entire bed off & somehow grind off the head of the carriage bolts.

11. ob269

ob269 New Member

J-hooks, far enough back you can't get anything in there..
    Keep it locked(of course) and locking nuts..