Time for a rebuild?

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by jrf523, Jan 19, 2012.

1. jrf523

jrf523 New Member

I have a 1998 Ranger Supercab w/3.0 auto and 257K on the odometer. Other than oil changes and tune-ups, only thing done to engine has been a oil sender replacement. I want to rebuild this engine because it has never been overheated, abused, etc.
    My question is what year and model of vehicle has the correct 3.0L engine to do a direct swap? While running on replacement engine, I will have original rebuilt.
    I am also looking for some power adders for this engine while rebuilding it, any suggestions?
    The MPG of truck has always been pathetic, 13 city/20 hiway. I don't think MPG could get much worst if I added some performance goodies. But there seems to be few items for this engine. Any ideas?
    I have access to some turbos and was considering a low pressure tailpipe turbo setup. Any thoughts on this power approach? Can the 3.0L handle a turbo?
    Thanks for any help.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Well,I have the 4.0 and I'm getting the same mileage. The 3.0s and 4.0s have usually been the same as far as mileage. Just curious, why do you want to rebuild your engine if there's absolutely nothing wrong with it? Run it until it dies and then have it rebuilt.

4. 01B3000

01B3000 ORIGINAL Portable Seizure

Exactly what he says.

Why rebuild if it doesnt need it. I know it has alot of miles, but the 3.0 is a very reliable engine. Also, on the fact of fuel mileage, its a truck.... Trucks and stop and go driving are horrid. Best i get around town, grandmaing it is like 16.

Also, you would need to upgrade almost everything in your engine internals to turbo it. Not to mention, the 3.0 doesnt have a very big aftermarket range for stuff like that.

5. Yeah, the mileage can be bettered if you get an air intake and some free flowing exhaust on, among other things...

6. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

Your lookin at like $3000 just to have the ability to run a turbo, then add another $1500 for a turbo and an intercooler. If you want a turbo, find a 2.3 turbo motor from a late 80s thunderbird. As for the re-build, don't waste your time/money if you don't need to.

7. OP
    jrf523

jrf523 New Member

The turbo was just a thought, as I said I have access(free) to them. But sounds like that is out as an option. And yes I have noticed that there are few power adders.
    Would love to install turbo 2.3 but don't have the luxury of that much downtime.
    As for why I want to rebuild is that I have noticed the faint sound of rod knock. Figure total failure is in my future. This is my daily driver and I can't be without it for any length of time. That is why I am looking for a donor vehicle with a compatible 3.0 to swap in while I rebuild. Don't mind the double labor, been there before. Don't want to rush rebuilder. Did that once before and ended up with a piece of **** garbage, that required me to add a quart of oil every tank of gas (no mosquitos on my route).

8. Oh, okay. You didn't mention the rod knock. Yeah, may wanna do that before it throws a rod through the block lol