thinking of selling the truck

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mcdonald58, Apr 20, 2012.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

im debating on selling the truck. heres my reasons why. the kbb value on my truck is 3700. it needs new shocks which should be about 200 or so. also i am getting 12 mpg which means i need a tune up which is going to be another couple of hundred. im not sure if its worth it keeping my truck. also the paint is in bad condition a bunch of scratches. the pros of keeping my truck are that it only has 43000 miles on it which is unheard of for my year. im sure my ranger could last me forever but im not sure if its worth dumping 600 bucks into a 3000 dollar truck.
    what do you guys think keep it or sell it?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

i say keep it, once you put some money into it, it will be going great, i bought a 1986 vw rabbit pickup for $1000 put about $8000 into it to make it stock then about $1000 to tune it up and make it better, so i spent $9000 on stuff for a $1000 car,

4. Dcrymes99ranger

Dcrymes99ranger Riding low and broke!!!

I agree keep it I'd rather spend 600 than 6,000.

5. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

theres been a land rover that i like on the side of the road for sale for about a month now. they want 3500 not sure on miles and stuff just driven by it.

6. Keep your truck dude, you know what the kinks are on it already. Tune ups are routine maintenance and so are shocks. You gotta do that on every vehicle. My truck is worth about 4 grand and I have about $8500 into it.

7. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

I'd keep the truck & put a little $$ into it.

I'm gonna drive mine until there's nothing left but the seat & steering wheel.
    Gas mileage ain't great but I never venture too far away from home anyhow.
    I've put way too much effort into getting it the way I like to get rid of it now.

Plus when you buy something else, you might have to drop a bunch of money into it too.

8. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Call around to a couple garages and get quotes for changing out starters, spark plugs, etc on a land rover. labor prices are through the freakin ROOF due to being so difficult to work on. Oh, and they have air suspension which gets even more expensive and can be a constant maintanance issue.

I've got $6K into my truck and its well worth it. Try to make the truck unique to you and it will treat you well.

As for the body, flat black ALWAYs looks good on a ranger. :D

Oh and 12 mpg is horrible! Definitely get a tuneup instead of buying new. Call rough country for shocks. They're $30 per shock.

9. El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!

Your on the wrong site to debate this lol. Of course were gonna say keep it! But I agree with the maintenance part of it. That stuff will have to be done on that Land Rover eventually too. Not to mention, Ranger parts are easy to come by. Theyve made em for 28 years, so junkyards have em too. And if you keep it, youve got us! We can walk you through the tough stuff!

10. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

Brad not only is labor thru the roof most of the parts for them have to be shipped to the USA from jolly ole England. My mechanic hates when the only customer he has with one brings it cuz its such a bitch to get parts most of the time.

11. LAND ROVER = $$$$$$$$$$$ in repair cost and parts at least in my neck of the woods

12. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

ANY neck of the woods bro ^

So I just looked it up. Its a minimum of 1.8 hours to do a starter on a land rover ranger rover by a licensed tech.

To show you how insanely difficult that is, I did a starter on my truck in 15 minutes in a minimart parking lot.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  13. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

alright you guys convinced in keeping the truck. i didnt realize land rover was from Britain. and there is no way in hell ill ever own an british car. as far as the paint ive always wanted a red truck. maybe ill talk to my buddy who did the bumpers about painting the whole thing.

14. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

my neighbor owes a land rover disco 1 and that thing is awesome not going to lie there, it does great on trails, but untill he crashed it 2 years ago its been sitting in his drive way because it would cost so much to rebuild

15. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

Didn't read any post before but if 3500 if the highest value someone may pay that because of the mileage but if your paint is in real rough shape and your tuning issues it may not be worth that much personally I'd keep the truck fix it and paint it myself