thinking of getting a second 4x4

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by hazard-maine, Apr 22, 2012.

1. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

so im thinking of getting a second 4x4 but a small suv so i can transport stuff inside and a dry safe area, and when i go hunting and fishing being able to bring friends, so pretty much want something with more space inside then the ranger, and was thinking of an explorer, so what are the pros and cons of an explorer?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

probably more of a gas sucker

4. Get a toolbox tonneau cover.

5. OP
    hazard-maine

i have one made of plywood, but when im delivering something long which is quite often, i have to have it exposed, and my bed is useally full as is

6. Clean it out slapnuts! What you should do is get an enclosed trailer since you already have the hitch

7. OP
    hazard-maine

i have one already, my enclosed trialer is now a moblie work station

8. Get another.

9. OP
    hazard-maine

to buy another one and register it and put it on my insurance would cost about the same as an okay driving explorer

10. Lmao. Don't insure it? Or do they have to be?

11. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

they have to be lol plus you have to get a title and plates

12. OP
    hazard-maine

they dont have to be but i dont want my **** stolen or if someone smashes in to it i want it to be fixed for free, and i still need the room for people when we go camping, hunting and fishing

13. OP
    hazard-maine

and if i get a seconded 4x4 i can get a multi plate so the ranger and if i get an explorer will have the same plate but different insurance,

14. Huh.... That's cool. Could always just throw an air mattress into the trailer though. :p

15. OP
    hazard-maine

or just get an suv, and i want to know how good an explorer is because i know someone who could sell me one

16. Well I dunno exactly what to look for, but my aunt had a 97 and had nothing but trouble with it. Ran fine when she first got it, but then went straight down the ****ter.

17. OP
    hazard-maine

i had a blazer/jimmy and it sucked soo much, so i was hoping someone could tell me the pros and cons of an explorer

18. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Ever thought about purchasing a used canopy? Sometimes called a topper or me and my friends affectionately call them "can-of-pee". Lockable, has a decent seal, keeps a dry bed. Best part is that it's cab-high or higher. Used canopys can be had for as little as $100 if you just wanted something to get the job done. Ones that actually look good and made to fit the truck properly range from $200-600 and far beyond sometimes. I bought my fully optioned out Raven canopy for $120...carpet, Yakima rack, etc. I later found what I initially was about to purchase from the dealer pop up on Craigslist locally. It had lift up side windows instead of sliders and that I really really wanted. Leer 100R for $300. MSRP on it was $1400. Dropped $150 on paint, sold the Raven, and here I am with a practically new canopy for a fraction of the cost. Plus, I robbed the Yakima rack and filled the holes of the Raven before I sold it(for profit I might add. lol)

Adding a new vehicle(or new to you) seems like a gross waste of resources in my opinion. Double the maintenance, double the insurance, etc, blahblahblah. But in regards to problems with Explorers......you never mentioned a year you were looking into. But you'll want to stay away from 95's for their front flaws, but after that, their reliability is the same as that of a Ranger. Explorers are based off of a Ranger, so....

Now if you were looking into 02+ Explorers, I haven't a clue but I assume they're similarly reliable like the older models. '02+ Explorers are an all new frame, IRS, body differences. Not included is 02-05 Explorer Sport or Sport Trac....those are still the same trucks as the 95-01 Expo and 98+ Ranger.

19. RoadRanger

RoadRanger -Skylark65-

they seem to hold up about as well as a ranger from what i've seen around here. auto transmissions seem to quit when they get up in miles, ball joints go bad, and the 4.0 is a pain to work on, so really it's just like a ranger, only they tend to sell for less $, and they've usually got a nicer interior (if it's not filthy...)

these are all under $2500 by me.

http://poconos.craigslist.org/cto/2952260938.html

http://poconos.craigslist.org/cto/2966941921.html

http://poconos.craigslist.org/cto/2971660556.html

http://poconos.craigslist.org/cto/2934385421.html

http://poconos.craigslist.org/cto/2922554478.html

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  20. OP
    hazard-maine

i have an ladder rack i use almost daily that is rated for around 1000lb and i tried putting a topper on with the ladder rack but it wont fit, and i already have a 1986 vw rabbit pickup so i have double the everything, but talking to my insurance agent i can lower my rates by $500 if i get a 3rd and use multi plates for it and the ranger, since the vw is under rec plates, and i was looking for 99+ on explorers

21. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

The truck isn't even rated for 1000lb on the bed...

But, depending on what you haul on the rack, there are canopy options out there. Typically the beefy ladder racks need to be specifically made wider for the use of a canopy within it's vertical posts. Your current one could be modified to fit a canopy in there.

[​IMG]

If you don't really need that beefieness, here's some more lighter weight capacity options...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is racks for canopies that mount to a track on top. The rails are adjustable. My theory on those is when loaded heavily, the roof will bow. If side mount racks are used and loaded heavily, the weight will spread over the bedrails causing less strain on the fiberglass.

I'm just giving an alternative to another rig. If you can wing it and the Explorer will fill your needs, by all means, go for it! lol.