The "OFFICIAL" guns, ammo & stuff thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by buggman, Dec 21, 2012.

1. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

I know several of you enjoy collecting, target shooting, etc with your guns, so I thought " why not make a thread where we can discuss our likes, dislikes, tips & stuff ", so here it is.

(not to take away from the "post pics of your guns" thread)

Please remember this is NOT the place to buy, sell or trade firearms & regular forum rules apply. Feel free to share your experiences to help teach those who aren't as knowledgeable.

What are your favorite guns, what features do you like or dislike?

Have you done any special mods to yours?

What do you look for when buying ammo? Brand name? Price?

What are some good resources (online, mail order or otherwise) for related supplies?

Any tips on maintenance & cleaning?

What is your "Safety Procedure" when handling your guns?

Do you have any special sights like a high power scope or laser?
    If so, how did you mount & set the aim on them? How often do you need to adjust them, if ever?
    How about high brightness lights? Like 'em or can you live without 'em?

How do you store your guns? Cases, Bags, Boxes, Holsters, etc...

What is on your "Wish List"?

Any cool stories about any difficult target shots you've made?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. 03walkalot

03walkalot New Member

I Knew it! I just Friggin Knew it!

No post indicated

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  4. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

just got a ruger 10/22 takedown! cant wait to try it out next week.

5. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

For the ar food why not look into reloading your own food for it I got into it for about 100 bucks and I generally pay about $.20 per round compared to $.40 per round of commercial ammo.

6. 03walkalot

03walkalot New Member

Reloading

No post indicated

7. RoadRanger

RoadRanger -Skylark65-

i'm planing to head to a local gun show january 5th or 6th, turns out they're having one down in fernwood, local resort only 7 miles down the road. to give everyone an idea, the closest gas station for me is next to fernwood, so to say i'm excited something like this is going on down there is an understatement, lol. i'm gonna look into adding a shotgun to my collection, not really sure what i want yet but i'm thinking a 20 guage for shooting clays and some small game hunting next year.

8. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

if you want you can ship me your .223/5.56 fired brass i'll gladly take it off your hands hahahahaha.....

9. OP
    buggman

Is it difficult to load your own ammo?
    I've seen a couple vids online & it seems to be pretty straight forward if you have the proper equipment.

10. 03walkalot

03walkalot New Member

No post indicated

11. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

when i started shooting trap about 7 yrs ago we always reloaded our 12ga shells. now its almost not worth it cost wise versus buying new. nice thing though we made light 1oz loads.

12. TurdFX4

TurdFX4 Schuylkill Countys Finest

I recently made friends with a reloader, he's charging me $35/100 .223 55grain... is that a good price?

and $13/50 .357mag

13. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

35 for 100 thats a couple buck cheaper than i found federal 100 round value pack for at wally world... and buggman yeah it cuts the cost of most ammo in half compared to commercial ammo... but the big problem with reloading is the upfront cost for everything....

14. 03walkalot

03walkalot New Member

No post indicated

15. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

depends on which press you have the top o the line dillon yeah but the rcbs and lee are alot cheaper to reload multiple calibers..

16. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  17. 03walkalot

03walkalot New Member

Proposed Ban

No post indicated

18. OP
    buggman

I kinda think they'll do a new version of the old assault weapons ban initially, then ban "high cap" guns capable of shooting more than 5 rounds without reloading or any gun that takes a magazine...but I wouldn't be surprised to see them put a hefty "tax" on ammo too.

It's gonna be bad when the police & armed forces have to go to the gangs & drug dealers to buy weapons & ammo.

Every place around here, both wally world & gun stores are nearly sold out of all ammo (except for 30-06 for some odd reason).

Even most of the online sellers of ammo I've looked at have "back ordered" or "out of stock" on most ammo until Feb 2013.
    I did find one place that had about 50% of their ammo still available.

Did anyone else see the news articles on the food for guns deals? People bringing in their guns for a voucher for food or goods?

I can understand some people wanting to get rid of guns that may be hazardous to actually use or something like that... but I kinda doubt if Joe Gunowner is gonna hand over his $2,000 AR for a $50 gift certificate.
    What becomes of those guns? Will they really be destroyed or will they find their way into the hands of more bad guys or people wanting to do harm to us?

(didn't mean to sound political there, but it seems like whenever there's a catastrophic event involving guns the first thing the news & politicians throw up is "we need to ban or regulate guns" and not so much "how do we keep weapons out of the hands of dangerous people")

19. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

Yeah about 85% of those will be destroyed and the other 15% will either be used by cops or find their way into the hands of "bad guys". I damn sure ain't giving up my ar for 50-100 bucks they can go and well you get the drift. Hahahahahaha.

20. 03walkalot

03walkalot New Member

Guns for food certs.

No post indicated

21. El Joker

El Joker New Member

Here is my new gun. It's a Mossberg maverick chambered in .270 with a barska 3.5-10x40. This was a cheap gun and something good to start on while getting into bolt actions/long range shooting. Once I got it sighted in you can see the group I had there. It was 2.5 MOA, I know that sucks but it still needs a little more tweaking on the scope and I need to shoot some better ammo. I only ran 20 rounds of Remington core-lock through it (this ammo is good for hunting but if your trying to get a one hole group this is not the ammo for that job. But once I get good on this rifle I am going to move up to a Remington 700.