starts but won't run

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by scouterbill, Jan 5, 2013.

1. scouterbill

scouterbill New Member

I am new to this and looking for help. Ihave a 97 ranger with 2.3. my son rearended a tahoe and the air bag deployed. i got the body repaired but when i tried to start it it will not idle. replaced the IAC, MAF, EVR. the fuel pressure is 35-40 psi when running and does not leak down after the engine dies. the engine starts and runs for a few seconds then dies. i can keep it running by feathering the throttle. any ideas

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. mfernandes

mfernandes Simply...FORD

My neighbor owns a 96 Supercab V6 3.0. He once had a very similar problem.

In his case, it was a plastic tube which runs from the air intake hose (between the air filter and the throtle body) to somewhere under the engine. That plastic tube was broken and loose and his truck had exactly the same symptom as your truck. I think its a vacum line.

He reatached that hose and glued it to the air intake and the problem was gone.

Check this picture:

[​IMG]

Maybe in the accident your son had that hose either broke or snaped off.

Good luck

4. frank-id

frank-id New Member

Engine will not run

First check for any codes. My long distant guesses are air idle sensor or crank position sensor or there is a vacuum leak in the intake manifold parts. Changing the gaskets is time consuming and about $15 in gaskets. All the vacuum hoses and connections can be quickly checked with some WD40 or some start fluid. frank

5. OP
    scouterbill

scouterbill New Member

I replaced vacuum lines and sprayed 3 cans of carb cleaner on everything that is involved with vacuum with no chan