Squeaking sound, left front

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by Babbalou52, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Babbalou52

Babbalou52 New Member

The past 3 weeks I've heard a sqeaking sound from the left front of my 2000 XLT, 3.0 when I hit bumps. It's gotten louder & is almost constant now. If I slowly push down on the left front fenderwell it sounds like an old creaking door. If I bounce it up & down it sounds like a donkey. Anyway, I got under it & sprayed grease on every friction point I could find. No difference. Could it just be a dried up, worn out shock? Or did I miss some place with the grease? It's got about 84,300 miles, original shocks.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Teamexploder

Teamexploder Explorer Member

Sounds like it could possibly be the shock wore out. You should securely park your truck on a flat surface jack it up under a control arm, get the tire off the ground and take a pry bar and pry under the tire or get someone to do that while you look at your ball joints to make sure there is no play in the ball joints as they could also be at fault for the bump squeaking plus they should be checked once in a while.

4. OP
    Babbalou52

Babbalou52 New Member

Thanks, I'll try that.

5. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

It could be the bushings in the control arms mine squeak whenever I go over speed bumps and the like.

6. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

So do mine, I went to look at them because of the squeak and found one was missing, so I replaced it and no more squeaks

7. OP
    Babbalou52

Babbalou52 New Member

Turns out that's what it was. I got under the truck & pushed up a few times & followed the noise to a control arm bushing. Sprayed Triflow penetrating oil in it but it didn't help. I'll get a new bushing & put it in next free Saturday.

8. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Nice man!!

9. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

Yeah I've got to do mine in a few weeks.

10. PeterMartin

PeterMartin Guest

Luxury car

Try to greasing the bushing of the thread it may be useful to lower down the squeaking sound of the front