Speedometer

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by MontyD, Jun 21, 2018.

1. MontyD

MontyD New Member

Hello everyone
    First off I want to say I have used this forum a lot here recently to troubleshoot problems. This is my first time actually posting something. I have a 95 ford ranger xlt single cab 5 speed, I had an issue with my odometer worm gear.

The mileage was stuck when I bought it and here recently I decided to fix it. After fixing the problem yesterday I noticed my speedometer was way off when driving. So I took it back apart and pushed the needle back to the bottom being careful not to let it come back up.

But now when I drive the needle had a really bad delay when displaying the speed. What I am wanting to know is there a way to reset it somehow? Is there something I am missing during installation of all of the parts?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. vinn

vinn New Member

I have a 96 with a bad odometer, speed indicator works ok. I will be removing it for repairs or replacement. if its like the older, mechanical, types, your problem could be the coiled needle return spring, it is like the hair spring in an old watch, if magnetized or the spring " is tangled" it will not run right. my guess - take it out again. vin

4. ZappyBear

ZappyBear Member

From what vinn is talking about, you didn't happen to use a magnetic screwdriver when talking it apart? Also, if you take it back apart, pull the center of the cable out and smear it with lithium grease. It'll keep the speedometer needle from jumping later on.