Slave Cylinder

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by Hurley, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

So I'm 98% sure my slave cylinders is bad. I'm losing fluid and my clutch is not dis-engaging. I don't feel comfortable taking this job on my own so I will be taking it to my mechanic. My question is, about how much should this run me? I know he will be very fair with me but I just wanna get a ball park estimated of what it might be.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

For the part itself I have seen good ones on ebay for about 100.00, I just dont know how labor intensive it will be. I bet Brad would know, he know his stuff with that!

4. mossyoak03

mossyoak03 ONE BAMF

depends on the area and what the labor rate is.

around here its 600 dollars just to drop and install the transmission. then add whatever the labor rate is there. heres its 35 dollars an hour. you can get the slave on rockauto.com that is prefilled for 50 dollars.
    so i would say a good 800 to 900 dollars

5. pretty cheap labor rates there... here it is 99 per hour

6. OP
    Hurley

Labor rates around me are about $60. I just wasn't sure how long of a job it would be.

7. 00redranger

00redranger New Member

I got mine replaced for $350 out the door, and he even had to drill my old crossmember out because the bolts were seized in the bushings.

Rates here are $50/hr, so considering he probably paid $50 for the part, 5-6 hours of labor, you do the math :p

8. OP
    Hurley

That doesn't sound too bad. I thought I was looking closer to $600

9. 00redranger

00redranger New Member

Now, keep in mind, the shop I had it done at was a small shop in a small town, and it took forever to get me in. Once I did get the shop to put it in, they didn't bleed my master cylinder at all, they only gravity bled the slave by filling the master as they let the slave stopper loose.

So I got it back w/ almost no peddle.

Make sure if you get the slave replaced at a shop that they put the little plastic sleeve on the new slave/master line (it's for the quick-disconnect feature), otherwise you'll like never be able to get the master line detatched from the slave again, and you'll have to break the slave cylinder and cut the slave part off the master line after the trans is out.

Just thought I'd throw it out there since that's what happened to me lol.