rusted bolts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mcdonald58, Mar 14, 2012.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

hey guys i was wondering what is the best way to get off a bolt that has rusted to a circle. i was taking of my bumpers got the front one off no problem but one my back ones is rusted badly. im thinking vice grips then i can just get a new nut.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I am a bit confused when you say rusted to a circle. But if its for a stuck nut or bolt, Soak it with PBblaster, or WD40. If you dont have air tools use a long ratchet to try and move the bolts/nuts

4. ZRanger28

ZRanger28 Got boost?

if you have a torch heat it up then try to spin it off

5. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

the actual nut has rusted so much that socket wont attach to it. the socket just spins because the nut has lost the shape of a socket and is now a circle.

6. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Hack the bolt off with a sawzall

7. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

OR pound a smaller IMPACT socket onto the damn thing with a BFH :D That's what I do.

8. ZRanger28

ZRanger28 Got boost?

i like the heat method works everytime

9. I gotta agree with the heat thing... Does work a lot.

10. TomN

TomN RANGER!!!

I'd cut that sucker off. Angle grinder FTW.

11. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

ill have to find a torch and start working on it. if not the hacksaw is coming out since i dont have a angle grider.

12. cookiemonster

cookiemonster New Member

13. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

Angle grinder all the way.
    You might be able to grind the head into a smaller hex shape & pound the next smaller socket on there, but probably as well of to cut that sucker off & get a new bolt.

14. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i dont think i can cut the hole bolt off because it looks like its designed for only the bumper. its one of the two bolts that holds the rear bumper on. my plan is to just get a new nut for it since the one on there is rusted almost to nothing.

15. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

cut them off and go get some grade 8 bolts nuts and washers and you'll be good....

16. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

you can do what I did get them all off but one then get the bumper and twist it back and forth and or jump on it real hard or a redneck way get a buddies truck tie a chain to youur bumper and watch it go down the road lol

17. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

after about 3 hours of working on the bolts we got them off had to cut two. we used a angle grinder, sawzall, hammer, screwdriver. and my favorite tool my foot.

18. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Way to be!

19. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

yup we didnt quit even when it was dark out. and does anyone know if its illegal to drive without any bumpers on my license plate is taped to my back window for now. we got it primed today and hopefully will have it on by saturday

20. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I dont see it being an issue. There are laws on it, but usually when it is displayed you are fine. If its a real hardcore HJ that stops you, you may get a summons for improper display. Check with your local pd though just to verify it

21. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

as far as i am aware of it is perfectly legal to drive around without your bumper as long as you LP is easily visable and some states mandate you have to have lights shining on it after dark.... ky is that way..... got pulled over cuz my LP bulbs were burnt out....