Rough Idle

Discussion in '2.3 Engine' started by jenzenauer, Nov 26, 2010.

1. jenzenauer

jenzenauer New Member

95 Ranger 2wd 2.3L
    Developed a rough idle since then I have replaced the Upstream O2 sensor, PCV valve which both were thowing a code. No change then thought might try the idle air control valve. No luck it runs great on the highway but both races and almost dies at idle any help? thanks

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Lenn

Lenn Semper Paratus !!

Are you sure that you plugged it in all the way? Are you also sure that it was only the LU sensor throwing a code? Most of the time, when an O2 sensor goes bad, they go in pairs... or sets. Your best bet would have been to replace all of them at the same time since its almost garanteed that you will be replacing the others in a matter of weeks/months.

4. OP
    jenzenauer

jenzenauer New Member

Yes I am sure it is in all the way. The codes were for upstream o2 sensor, pcv valve stuck open, and lean bank on one side or the other can't remember off hand. I have not replaced the lower o2 sensor cause I can't afford it yet no after the IAC it surges at idle revs up and then drops down low almost to stalling out and then revs back up. Any help? Thanks

5. bobkyle2

bobkyle2 !! BAMF !!

Sounds like a vaccumme leak somewhere...i would check your brake booster vacumme lines and PCV vac lines and any other vac lines you can find..

6. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Thread moved to the new 2.3 engine tech section