reverse issues

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by mcdonald58, Oct 10, 2012.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

today when i went to back out of my parking spot something very weird happened. i started it up and it was really rough, more than usual. then i put it into reverse and the engine stalled and turned off. then my check engine light came on. this happened about five more times. i had to have my friends push me out of my spot. it only happened when i was in reverse though. then when i got home which is about a 5 min drive everything was working fine for the rest of the night. what could be causing this? and should i be worried about it?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

I would be worried, if it happened once, it will prob happen again, I'd have someone run the code for the check engine light for a proper diagnosis.

4. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

yea im going to talk to my auto tech teacher today. the check engine light went off after i would turn the truck off after it stalled.

5. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

even if the light went away the code should be stored in memory, so I'd run the code anyways to avoid further problems.

6. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i dont think the code is from the reverse issue. i think it was telling me that my engine stalled and is off since it only came on when that happened and then went away.

7. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

well today i put my truck in reverse and felt a noticable drop in rpms a lot more than more i starting having this issue. it was almost like the truck was threatening to stall but stayed on. im worried about my truck. i hope its not my tranny.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  8. DPG3

DPG3 Member

sounds like the tranny. im not an expert. but thats what it sounds like. maybe something is lose which messes with the flywheel or something.

9. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

This happened again last night. I'm thinking it might be a vacuum leak. Since it last happened I replaced the transmission fluid and changed the fuel filter on the truck. I hope it's not my whole transmission going.