recharging heat

Discussion in 'Maintenance Shop' started by mcdonald58, Jan 10, 2013.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

is there a way to recharge your heat? ive been having this clicking that i was getting before i recharged my a/c. does the heat use a similar system as the a/c? i get this clicking noise once i turn my heat on.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. edgeman4.0

edgeman4.0 2nd amendment activist

The heating system ironically runs off your engines cooling system. The heat from the engine block (while running) is displaced through the coolant, then distributed through the coolant system by the water pump to the heater core, which is then drafted by a fan through tour vents.

Check for a blockage on your heater core or perhaps even a leak. But then you would notice low coolant levels.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using tapatalk 2

4. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

so low coolant could be making the clicking noise when i turn it on? i found a small coolant leak out of a part attached to a hose. ill take a better picture of it tomorrow and upload it. ill bring it over to my auto tech teacher and see if he knows what it is if i have time tomorrow.

5. edgeman4.0

edgeman4.0 2nd amendment activist

If your coolant level was low enough to bother the heater, your truck would overheat with great haste.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using tapatalk 2

6. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Does the noise change with the speed of the fan ?

Do hear it on low ?

To answer your question, the A/C comes in on everyone of the heat and A/C position except the floor and the dash only, so every time you put on the defroster the A/C comes in.

7. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

No the speed dosent change and it seems to only happen as the truck is heating up and I have it on a high setting. It sounded just like my a/c did before I used a/c pro on it.

8. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Funny.
    The heater is part of the engine cooling and heating system.
    Only thing you can do is check the coolant, if the coolant is low the you will not get enough heat out of the heater.
    The clicking, not sure I have ever heard that before; I was thinking leaves in the blower area but that should go away after a while.
    I had a leaf stuck in there, you could hear very faintly on low but oh high it was louder.

Funny, be sure to post when you figure it out.

9. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Hey,
    How's this going ?

If the clicking is still there, could it be coming from the A/C still ?

10. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

Most of the settings on the hvac panel will power up the ac compressor the one that I have found that do not power it up is feet. I'm not sure why ford designed it this way but at least on my truck that's the way it is.

11. Rodest

Rodest New Member

hello summer is approaching and thinking of buying AC. Can you tell a good reliable brand?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  12. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

IMHO… I would stick to OEM.

I will be doing a 5.0 swap soon and I will be buying a new PEM Unit, $$$ - yes but fitment and reliability.
    I do not really know the aftermarket and there are places like Vintage Air and others that make full A/C-Neat systems as well as just Pumps so all I can say other than OEM is search aftermarket sources.