Rearend pinion missing tooth

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by Musquash13, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Musquash13

Musquash13 New Member

Hello. I have a 99 ranger 2wd auto. Recently I rebuilt and replaced my spider gears in my rear differential. After doing so I messed up when putting my S springs back in. I drove it (immediatley hearing a clunk) for about 30 miles and then took off my rear end cover. The s springs/clips were nothing but metal shavings. I completly cleaned out my rear end again but noticed the only damage done was one tooth was broke off my pinion gear, everything else looks great. I put it back together and it runs fine but of course it whines quite loud while driving. Has anyone ever drove with a tooth missing on their pinion? I am wondering how long it will last like this. Apprx how many miles can I get like this. I know people will say it is not safe so should not drive but how long can I get out of it with one tooth missing. What additional damage will it do. What will likely happen when it let's go. Thanks for any input as funds are tight.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. shovelmike

shovelmike New Member

The fix right now is a new ring gear and pinion, if you wait until it goes out the repair will be the same.
    It's hard to guess how long it will run that way. When it fails you will most likely just coast to the side of the road, but if your luck is like mine it will be at the most inconvenient time.

4. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

NEVER drive a vehicle that has a missing tooth!

They have a tendency to lock up and tear your driveshaft to pieces, which in turn ruins your transmission. I would get a new axle. It would be cheaper in the long run. Where are you located at? I have an extra 8.8 I'd be willing to sell you fairly cheap. Has brand new brakes on it.

Im located in PA if your close, we could meet up.

5. Black mamba

Black mamba The mannnn

Ummmmm... Wtf...

6. lol He's ragin...

It is a pretty bad idea though.