Rear Wheel Drive to Four Wheel Drive Conversion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ngpark3, May 20, 2009.

1. ngpark3

ngpark3 New Member

Hey everyone,

Looking for whatever help I can get on this. I am looking to convert my 2WD ranger to a 4x4. I know I'll need a front drive shaft, a front axle and a transfer case, but is there anything else I need to make this conversion possible, and how much should I be looking to drop for a project such as this, and most importantly is it possible or even worth it?

Thanks for what ever help you can give me.

Neil Park

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Jon

Jon Administrator

I'm not the most tech-guy around, but I would think the conversion would be pretty involved.

What year truck do you have and how many miles?

4. OP
    ngpark3

ngpark3 New Member

2wd to 4wd drive conversion

My Ranger is a 2001 Edge with 105K miles on the tranny and motor, if you know anyone who could help me on this that would be great.

Neil

5. brazospete7

brazospete7 New Member

just find a car dealer that has the 4x4 of your dreams and trade in your 2x and avoid a multitude of work and struggle. and a fortune in parts

6. Rangerak

Rangerak New Member

I agree with brazospete on this one. You not will most likely spend a fortune for used parts from junkyards and parts stores. All the major parts are specific to the engine and the transmission on through, drivelines, front end axles, mounts, transfer case, probably some front suspension stuff, front hubs, some of the steering things may need upgrading as well. Need I say anything about the jillion hours of work too? Sell it for the most you can get for it and take the money and use it for a down payment and get something you like and if you want a few mods you would be able to afford them and be happy:D
    R