RE-Gear Finally !

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by Scrambler82, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

AWESOME NEWS! FINALLY!!! lol.

Break-in: follow the instructions in the Yukon booklet. It was something similar to as you describe....drive for a bit, let her cool for a few hours, drive for an hour, cool down over night....all this while taking it really easy on her. The theory is new gears under break-in are HOT gears that build up considerable heat. And heat makes gears brittle and they are killed. Then fluid changes after 500 mi or so. Plus that booklet is a neat little read and I keep mine in my owner's manual case.

Fluids: I'd refer to what OX approves/suggests for fluid. I can't remember if you did anything up front carrier-wise. My locker, an Auburn Ected, requires dino oil plus a L/S additive. Apparently running synthetic or dino with L/S additive built in gives hell to my locker's clutches. Numerous folks have experienced this when running synthetic with my locker, so the Auburn spec is pretty specific and accurate. If OX doesn't suggest anything specific, sure run a synthetic when it's time to swap fluids. I'm a fan of Royal Purple. My gear guy suggests L/S additive in any axle running any oil...he has a theory of stickiness with metal contact, so I've followed his advice.

EDIT: Note: I'm coming up on 5 years being geared. Crazy how times flies!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. timbits588

timbits588 New Member

Sounds like an awesome set-up. Can't wait for pics!

4. OP
    Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Got the truck tonight.
    NICE, is all I can say.
    Feels good.
    Still need the new tires and wheels.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  5. OP
    Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Can't believe how nice the truck drives.
    Moves easier, I am going 70 and don't realize it.

Got the new tire and rims ordered.

AMerican Racing Mojave, Teflon coated, 15x8s this time and 33x12.50 BFG ATs.
    Wanted to find some AR Chamber wheel! Teflon coated but no-go, seems AR doesn't make them anymore, that $ucks.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  6. OP
    Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Rough calculation mpg = 18, up from 15-16.

As soon as breakin is done and new tire and rims will try for 20 mpg on 33s and 4.56s.

7. OP
    Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Went to a local Tire Store, ordered the new 33"x15" BFG ATs and some new rims.
    They called yesterday, I ran there as quickly as I could and waited an hour to find out the rims they ordered had a BC of 139.7 not the 114.3 that the Ranger takes.

That $ucks, plane and simple.

8. OP
    Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Truck pulls a little to the left.
    Went back to the Tire Store and had another alignments done but no change.
    Tech said it was because of the lift.

Any comments ?