rattling noise

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by greenmachine2000, Feb 17, 2012.

1. greenmachine2000

greenmachine2000 New Member

well if i have the cruise is on or not going up hill if i hit the gas or if the cruise is on and the truck is trying to keep itself at the right speed i hear a metal rattling noise sounds like someone taking a thin metal rod and rattling it under truck..i know this inst much info but its the best i can think up.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Exhaust, garunteed

4. OP
    greenmachine2000

but what part, everything is tight.

5. Black mamba

Black mamba The mannnn

Did you check all the hangers? And heat shields ?

6. OP
    greenmachine2000

hangers yes, heat shields..no. it got to dark to see anything.

7. Could be a manifold clamp or something.

8. OP
    greenmachine2000

ill check in morning just sounds like a parking brake cable is rattling against frame, but thats tied up so i know thats not the issue.

9. If that's the sound, then its definitely without a doubt your exhaust somewhere.

10. OP
    greenmachine2000

probably a heat shield, i dont know where to look for them someonezzz help me.

11. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

Its just the metal plating covering the exhaust or cat right?

12. OP
    greenmachine2000

idkk, ill look it up, i just feel like crap right this second. light headed just sitting on floor if i close my eyes and move my head it snaps in in the direction i leaned it, feels like a boulder.

13. AGreager18

AGreager18 Member

Had the same problem. I changed everything out I thought it was untill I found the problem and it was the cat. To make sure tho get under ur truck and bang on ur cat wit ur fist to see if it makes a rattle well that's what I did.