question on models

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by brandon151, Dec 1, 2011.

1. brandon151

brandon151 New Member

ok so im new here my names brandon, i AM a toyota guy and prolly gonna buy a ford ranger sometime soon here..

prolly dumb questions but i already googled it an everything, but didnt get a true answer.

anyways, im looking at basically anything in the 2000's and up 4x4 and such..
    -is the vulcan v6 really as reliable as some say?
    - does the fx4 package offer a 5 speed? and what year did they start the fx4 package?

thanks!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

first off welcome and not sure about the 3.0 i have heard some on here say it's not got that much power but dont know for sure.... and the fx4 does come in a manual.... as well as the highly sought after twin stick level II and not really sure the year that ford came out with the fx4... i'm gonn guess and say 01.....

4. OP
    brandon151

brandon151 New Member

yeah i kinda figured the power was gonna be sought upon but i come from the toyota world and my current truck has 115hp.. 22re :( thanks for the info though

5. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

the fx4 first came out in 02 and that became the fx4 level 2 in 03...also in 03 the FX4 off road package became available...and the fx4 ran until 08 IIRC

6. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

3.0s do lack a little power but are are very simple motors that will run forever. If you can get an fx4 its worth it.

7. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

I prefer the 4.0 OHV any day of the week (in ranger's until 2000) Very straighforward motor easy to get at almost any part of it, and run forever if taken care of. Some of the earlier models had weak heads on them (til around 1995).

The hubs on the 98-2000 models are extremely expensive and difficult for some people to work on (internal snap rings which take "special" tools). If I were you, I'd look for a 2001-2003 or a 1995-1997 ranger with the 4.0 and a 5 speed.

8. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

i like my 3.0 it dose the job i put it to

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  9. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

98-00 can swap to manual 4x4 hubs in about five minutes

10. OP
    brandon151

brandon151 New Member

so whats different about the 4.0 before 2000?
    i like the body style of 98-2000 and then the one right after it.... those are the years im looking at

11. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

the prior than 2000 engines were set up like an older style engine with the cam in the center of the engine.... 2000+ engines are the SOHC and they have had some problems with the timing chains.....

12. OP
    brandon151

brandon151 New Member

oh ok.. it sounds like both v6s are still good motors though...

13. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

just one thing bou the 3.0 v6 is that some of the heads are known to go bad and crack put if they are up to date your fine