Possibly spark plugs?

Discussion in '1989 - 1992 Ford Ranger' started by DLeathers44, Mar 5, 2011.

1. DLeathers44

DLeathers44 New Member

I haven't replaced spark plugs or have had a tune up on it since I've owned the truck. I've had it since August of last year, but I've kept the oil changed, every 3,000 miles. I've been driving my truck here lately and it acts like it's running out of gas. It'll be at a steady 60 mile/hour roll, and then, just randomly it cuts out like it's gonna die on me. I figured it may be either the spark plugs, or the fuel filter, which neither has been replaced since I've had the truck. Any ideas? know anything about this subject? If so, please help.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

4. OP
    DLeathers44

DLeathers44 New Member

Okay, is this better? Lol.

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Excellent my friend

6. sheldoncooper

sheldoncooper New Member

Hi there, so what did you find out? This happened to me as well and It was so humiliating because it died right after I crossed a busy intersection :( All the drivers behind me got angry and when they passed by me they looked very angry at me. Anyway, when I had it checked, it was a bad combination of a weak battery and old sparkplugs! Another idea is to heat up your truck before driving and then rev it up before you turn it off. I found this stops that problem although it's a stop gap measure to be sure..

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011