Popping sound after turning

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by Babbalou52, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Babbalou52

Babbalou52 New Member

Just yesterday I noticed a popping sound right after I turn (left or right) & straighten the steering wheel. On the way home from work it got worse. I feel the "pop" or "thunk" through the streering wheel & floorboard. I checked all the lug nuts & they're tight. Within the last 7 months I've had a broken control arm replaced, all the ball joints replaced & front wheel bearings were replaced. (All of which greatly improved the handling) The shocks were replaced 16k miles ago. So the popping/thunking noise is a mystery. Unfortunately I can't take a day off & go to the mechanic before Friday. It has 105K miles & is a 2000 XLT V-6 automatic. Any guess as to what this sound is from? Thanks for any assistance.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Check the sway bar end links. Mine did that when I first got my truck and was almost hitting the CV. The end links may have lost the bottom bushings causing them to bounce around. Also check the tie rod ends. Look around your whole front in case something from that recent install came loose.

4. OP
    Babbalou52

Babbalou52 New Member

Yep that was it, thanks! Upper bushing on the tie rod end was broken off & dangling. Looks to be made of plastic. There was about 2/3" of free play under the end of the sway bar. I didn't think to look there since they're so new. I'll be checking the other one now & then. For now I made a temporary "bushing" with about 10 ft of electrical tape until I can get to the auto parts store Friday. I remember seeing tie rods ends with polyethylene bushings online somewhere & I may get a pair to replace mine, probably more durable.

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Good deal! Take a look on Rockauto.com, they sell the end links along with killer bushings for around 25.00

6. OP
    Babbalou52

Babbalou52 New Member

Thanks. I'm going to replace my sway bar bushings too. I noticed they look dry rotted & worn to the point they're not even touching the bar anymore.