plugs and wires

Discussion in 'Maintenance Shop' started by 5camerons, Nov 3, 2009.

1. 5camerons

5camerons New Member

what are some good plug and wires to put into my 1999 ford ranger 4x4

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Jelly's Ford

Jelly's Ford Riding High in the Saddle

Autolite, Bosch, motorcraft (Ford), and of course MSD are really good brands of spark plugs. Ha MSD wires would be good also. But for a Ranger the motorcraft ones are good, and accel makes wires for almost every truck. You could always stop by an advance auto parts or O'reilys auto parts and they will get you set up. I really have no bias for any brand because I havent had to replace plugs or cable yet.

4. gdog1678

gdog1678 rangerdanger

the motocrafts are a really good brand and make sure you get the plugs for an ohv or sohc depending on your engine there is about a 1/4 inch difference in length.

5. EricFi1

EricFi1 New Member

Honestly.. Motorcraft Plugs, use nothing else.
    Ford's run best on motorcraft plugs.
    Stay away from bosch, they tend to misfire more often than not.

since you didn't say which engine you have, use the recommended OE plug (i.e. dual platnum, finewire iridiium, etc..) don't try and save a few bucks and get a copper plug if it doesn't call for it. some of the engine have a waste spark system where the plug fire tail to tip.. a copper plug will wear out very quickly and will give poor performance from the start.
    as for Wires, I run MSD 9.5mm just because.
    But running the Motorcraft wires would be excellent, or Prestolite (which makes the motorcraft wires)
    Any name brand wire would be ok.. but I'd stay clear of the big box brands, (autozone, o'reillly's, etc..). LIfetime warranties mean nothing if you have to keep swapping wires.
    I'm not an fan of OE parts, I prefer aftermarket as often as possible, however Ford's run very very well on OE parts, mainly plugs & sensors.

6. Eric: So, with my truck having just turned over 138k, never had plugs replaced, would you say to replace them? You seem to know what you're talking about.

7. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

i would replace them and in a ford engine they run best on motocraft or autolite....

8. Alright, sweet. Gonna get them. You know what kind I should get? Like the dual platinums, etc... Like Eric was saying?

9. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

not bosch man the bog out to bad if you do any offroad. im a big fan of the aoutlight

10. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

if you go with motocraft you can go to any auto parts store and tell them you want motocraft oe plugs for your truck and wires as well and they should have them in stock.....

as far as autolite i'm not really sure....

11. I think I'm gonna go with the Motorcrafts, since they were made for Fords.

12. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

yeha just go into autozone or your local auto parts store and tell them you want oe plugs and wires for your truck and your good....

13. A&A is where a buddy works, he can get me anything I need lol

14. Captured Time

15. Local auto parts store. Big around here. They sponsor a lot of car shows and the Four Wheel Jamboree Nationals down at the Bloomsburg fairgrounds. Look it up if you're still confused xD

16. Captured Time

im always confussed lol

17. EricFi1

EricFi1 New Member

you can't go wrong with OE plugs. Autolite makes the plugs for Motorcraft.
    You need to use the double plats because of the waste spark system in your rig.
    Plus they'll last 75k as well.

don't get any of the exotic erotic plugs like the 4 pronged plugs. Bosch sells them as +4 and also +2, the marketing idea is that the spark travels hits all 4 prongs. it's theoretically impossible, as current flows to the path of least resistance so it will fire on 1 prong only until its resistance changes and then hunts for another prong with least resistance, this is where the misfiring occurs.

18. Getting the Autolites. A&A does not carry the motorcrafts, but these work just fine.

19. Captured Time

truth be told with all 3 of my rangers as soon as i got them ther are some thins i do
    1)new batt
    2) new alt
    3 oil
    4) pull the motercrafts out and put in the autolights