off-road package

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mcdonald58, Jun 30, 2012.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

whats the differences between a normal ranger and a ranger with the off-road ranger? are there differences in suspension and things like that?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

the off-road has one extra skidplate thats about it

4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger -Skylark65-

skidplates, 16" wheels, bigger tires, and i THINK limited slip, although i'm not sure.

5. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

^hit the nail right on the head

6. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

alright thanks. could i add the skid plates onto a 98+ regular 4x4? if i cant find one that has the off-road package.

7. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

depends on the year for l/s my 02 offroad doesnt have it

8. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

You talking about the 3rd gen STX's or the newer ones? If its the STX's your talking about, they have around 2" of lift from the factory.

9. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i was talking about 98+. im trying to decide if it should be something im looking for when i buy my new ranger.

10. RoadRanger

RoadRanger -Skylark65-

i heard the skid plates from a '98-00 off road package fit a non- off road, but i also heard they are pretty much flimsy tin, they don't offer alot of protection off road. i always forget to look for one at the junkyard to see for myself though.

11. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

alright thanks. maybe ill just get skid plates from josh. i still need to get a truck though...

12. RoadRanger

RoadRanger -Skylark65-

honestly though unless you're doing serious off roading, you probibly don't need a skidplate. i don't have any on my truck, no lift, and i've never had a problem off road.... except the time i tore my step bar off on a stump, but that's unrelated, lol.

13. ktmmudd

ktmmudd New Member

My 2000 XLT with the off-road pkg has 4.10 gears, limited slip, power steering cooler, and those chintzy skid plates.