"map light" replacement inquiry

Discussion in 'Interior' started by sgull, Jun 26, 2018.

1. sgull

sgull Member

I'd like to replace the "map" light fixture on my '98 Ranger. It's the fixture up on the ceiling in the cab right above the middle of the back window and has a sliding switch. I suppose it could be called the dome light or the cab light but apparently it's referred to as the map light. I'm pretty sure I busted something on the fixture, like a tab or whatever, when I was in a hurry trying to pry off the cover (lens) to remove the bulb(s) one time in the past when the light wouldn't turn off even with the doors shut. The light still works but I can't replace the cover because like I said something (a tab or whatever) that holds the cover (lens) onto the base of the fixture apparently has broken and so it won't snap back on.

I read somewhere (maybe this forum) but can't find it anymore where an upgrade to these particular map lights can be done by replacing this style fixture with that from an Explorer so that it's not the sliding switch anymore but would then be pushbutton switches instead. What I recall reading is that on the Explorer fixture I'd need to clip off or cut off a couple of tabs on the fixture (or something like that) so it will fit into the Ranger. So I was thinking of going ahead and doing that if I could get my hands on the right fixture from an Explorer somebody might be parting out but I can't remember the year range of Explorer that will work for the swap-out.

If anybody knows here, can they let me know. Also, after that or along with that I'd like to change out the situation so that the bulbs are LED, if that's not a big deal to accomplish. Any comments/advice/guidance about any of the above appreciated.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Sean McG

Sean McG New Member

sgull.
    I've been thinking of doing this also. I've got to replace the headliner and wanted to do some modifications while the foam gizmo was out of the way. I cannot help much on the electrical part but I did see a guy on youtube do a mod on his ranger with this very idea. It may be worth searching to see if that will help. One thing I can help with is this. And it is more of a bit of advice.
    When you pry the opaque plastic cover off, don't just dash off and grab the bulb. The OEM bulbs become very (and I mean VERY) hot with just a few minutes of use. I recommend using a plastic fuse puller gizmo that looks like tweezers or something similar as premature contact with skin leaves one without feeling in their fingers for decades.

4. Sean McG

Sean McG New Member

Update:
    The video on Y**Tu** said the button light came out of a 1995-2001 Explorer and when the tabs are removed from the back, it is a direct replacement with no wiring to modify. Since the LED lights are not super expensive, I will likely grab a set of those so that I am not dealing with nuclear hot stock bulbs and they wont have to be changed.
    If I get my gear together, I will photo the process and post it here. However, I am going to peruse the salvage yard for a dome / map light newer than 2001. I wouldnt think Fords schematics would change that drastically. Time will tell. Good luck.