Lit Cruise Buttons & Mazda vs Ranger?

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by sdowiat, Feb 9, 2013.

1. sdowiat

sdowiat New Member

Hey guys, I've lurked and read here a long time and learned a lot from you. I wanted to ask a few questions that I haven't found directly addressed. Any input on any part is appreciated. thanks...

My truck is actually a 99 Mazda B3000 4x4 ... but as best as I can tell everything seems to match up to a Ranger and there is sooo much info in this group compared to "Mazda".

Question -Are the cruise control buttons on both sides of the steering wheel supposed to light up? The lights on the left side of mine do ( the on and off I think ) but the other side does not... hasn't in the few years I've owned it.

Is there any signification difference in my 99 Mazda B3000 and a matching Ranger? I know there is a little bit of grill and rear fender difference... and wheels.. but underneath is it a Ranger? Were they made on the same line? If they were I wonder if they had a Mazda days a couple of days a month or if they mixed them into regular Ranger production.

From what I've read ( and felt ) my 3.0 engine is a slug but tends to be a long life slug... That sound right?

How about my auto tranny... it's different and weaker than what would have gone in a 4.0 isn't it. Is it substantially weaker?

Finally, I live in the south and the truck was bought right here. ( My dad bought it new here in Georgia... I inherited it ) I've just discovered an electric 110 plug in hanging at the bottom of the radiator. It's hard enough to trace back that I can't yet tell where it's going... Any idea what that could be? Was there an option for an electric block heater... would they have sold that in Georgia?

Thanks guys.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. rwenzing

rwenzing Bob

Both speed control switches should be illuminated but it is not uncommon for the bulb(s) to burn out.

Ranger and B-series are brothers under the skin mechanically. Some differences in sheet metal, headlights, taillights, grille and trim. Definitely built on the same assembly line but I couldn't say whether or not there were special "Mazda days". I doubt it.

3.0 is a good workhorse engine with few problems. The most dangerous would be a failure of the CaM Position sensor/Synchronizer because it drives the oil pump. The warning signs might be a squeak from the rear of the engine or a CMP sensor trouble code.

The transmission behind the 2.5 and 3.0L is very similar to the 4.0L version but there are some internal differences. The lighter duty 2.5/3.0 box is rated at 440 lb-ft input torque, the 4.0L is rated for 550 lb-ft. Fancier electronic controls for the 4.0 box make it a 5-speed but the 2.5/3.0 trans was still a 4-speed in 1999.

The plug is for a block heater or a battery heat blanket or both. For Rangers, it was generally present only for those bound for Canada or certain northern tier states. Mazda was more or less free to make up its own equipment rules so the plug-in heater option availability may or may not have been the same as the Ranger.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013