L1224R +06 rear lights

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Shawn, May 10, 2013.

1. Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

4. fomoco

fomoco Moderator

yeah, those are the right part, i got lucky when i got my L1224R's, found them on an 06 mountineer that was fresh in the yard, i almost fell over when i saw them drop it off... i ran home to grab some tools, and got the bulbs and pigtails for $10

5. OP
    Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

$10.00 was a steal. I paid more than that, but I probably would have had to search for months to find them in a JY around here.

6. RoadRanger

RoadRanger -Skylark65-

what are the L1224r's? factory LED tail light bulbs?

7. OP
    Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

OEM Ford parts made by Osram-Sylvania
    The LED modules are made by Sylvania/OSRAM and are part of their Joule LED lighting system. This clever design places surface mount LEDs in a heat sink assembly outside of the tail light assembly. A clear plastic tube carries the light up to a mirror that shines it on the tail light reflector. Keeping the LEDs outside of the tail light is an important feature because LED light output is sensitive to ambient temperature.
    L1224R led's are made by Osram Sylvania and were introduced in '04 and first used on the '06 Mercury Mountaineer. They are the first automotive LED to be made 'screw-in' as a standardized form to make just the lamp replaceable instead of the entire housing needing to be replaced. Thus making them cheaper to produce, cheaper for the auto manufacturer to 'tweak'/update lenses with respect to how light is reflected, and cheaper to maintain than the 'dot' led tails that some manufacturers are putting on vehicles these days.
    L1224R-01 - 2008 Ford Taurus X
    L1224R-01 - 2008 Mercury Sable
    L1224R-01 - 2009 Ford Mustang
    L1224R-01 - 2006 Mercury Mountaineer
    A similar module is used in some GM vehicles. L1230R.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. RoadRanger

RoadRanger -Skylark65-

that's cool as hell. another mod i'll wanna see when it's done!

9. fomoco

fomoco Moderator

they are bad ass when their done, mine don't look like that, mine are all chrome, and the LEDs fire back towards the reflector

10. OP
    Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

Here are some more photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Those are great lights, I was fortunate enough to get them from a member here for my truck!

12. OP
    Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

Yes, I think they are going to be great. I hope so. I have a lot invested in the 2006 tail lights and these bulbs. The bulbs were pricy and I think I got a decent deal on the tails. But then you got to get the pigtails and sockets to cut up. Almost $200.00 for the whole deal. But I did choose to buy new parts instead of used ones. I don't want to have to replace something in 6 months.
    What the heck..If I didn't spend it on the Ranger..oops I mean Lincoln..I'd spend it on stale women and easy beer...

13. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Lol...very true! Can't wait to see them installed

14. OP
    Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

I can't stop.....Help!!!!..I decided since I am upgrading the tails and brakes, I might as well do the reverse lights also. I just ordered a set of LED's. I'll post a pic later. They have the 7watt projector CREE R5, and 12 CREE 5050's on the sides. 12watt total each lamp. Should make a real difference. I got a pair with free shipping for $15.99

15. 06FordFX4

06FordFX4 Canadian Redneck

Just curious, but why not spend $20 and do LED replacement pieces for the stock bulb plug?

16. OP
    Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

That's what I am doing for the reverse lights. These OEM Osram brake/parking bulbs are the best you can get and much better than any China made plug in replacement bulb. This project is expensive, but I am getting my money's worth. I have done the cheap replacement bulbs before in other locations on the truck. They never last. I REALLY WANT my BRAKE lights to ALWAYS work. I won't have to touch these again. I plan on driving this truck for many years.

Shawn

17. 06FordFX4

06FordFX4 Canadian Redneck

Interesting.

I dunno mine are pretty damn bright lol. And have lasted well over 30,000 miles so far.

68 red LED's in each tail light.

Reverse ones are 120 white LED's

18. OP
    Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

To each his own. I am an OEM fanatic when possible. It is much more gratifying for me to modify a Ford part to work. I find the easy way out to be boring.
    Lincoln wood steering wheel. Volvo (which Ford owned) timer for the heated mirrors. Mazda rear bumper, Mercury tail light LED's, Mustang wheels, Expedition aluminum rear end cover, Mustang Mach speakers,etc...All Ford companies.....all Ford parts.....

Then to really make me smile,
    I met my brother at the Ford dealer he works at, and the techs working there say that they never saw a Lincoln mini truck before. I have covered the details well enough to fool a Ford tech. :)

19. OP
    Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

Here are the reverse lights.
    7watt projector CREE R5, and 12 CREE 5050's on the sides. 12watt total each lamp.
    I think I may have to sand that black off.

[​IMG]

20. fomoco

fomoco Moderator

whats the link to those? I like those

21. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Since you are doing all of this rear light work, what about think safety… make your backup light into directionals.
    Easily done but you will need to add an aftermarket set of backup lights, another easy setup.

Just thinking out loud, luck with the light stuff, it looks good.