Keyless Ignition System

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by m-winters, Sep 29, 2009.

1. m-winters

m-winters New Member

I have a 2000 Ranger, the only power anything is steering so the truck is just a beat around. I would like to remove the lock cylinder and just have a couple of switches to start the truck. Basically like the same system used in NASCAR. I do have experience in electrical work so that won't be hard but I've never tworn into the steering column. Does anyone know how hard this project would be or is it even worth it?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. bowmaster85

bowmaster85 New Member

I have the same idea with mine but there are a few problems. Locks only stop the honest theves and any two bit mechanic now how to get around them. But with the switches what are you going to do to detur the honest theif? Would not recommend for a daily driver. i wired some extra lights into a power wire i found just under the steering colum. It was constant power and all that good stuff. I then decided to move my seat and some how severed the wireing to the lights. And of couse because it was the seat tracks it grounded the live wire and fried the power wire i tapped into. Now my air bag light comes on and the air bags dont seem to work. So just think long and hard!!