Idle issues

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by rangeragain, Apr 17, 2011.

1. rangeragain

rangeragain New Member

My 93 2.3 runs perfect above idle, but it never really idles well. It seems to have a miss and idle speed is to low. I have 150k on it and to be honest I haven't had time to check plugs etc since buying it. I've been told by the dealer I got it from that it sat for 18 months on another dealers lot before he got it. I thought it might have to relearn how to idle, but I've put around 1500 miles on it now and still no better. Any ideas would be appreciated, I'm going to stop by the auto parts store today and get the codes read, hopefully that may give a clue. Even with this issue I must say this truck is head and shoulders above the ratty S-10 I was driving. No more GM for me. Thanks guys.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

i would say start with a tune up and see if that stops the rough idle....

4. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

^^ agreed, plugs, wires, oil change, air filter especially since it sat so long

5. OP
    rangeragain

rangeragain New Member

Yeah, I had it serviced the day I got it, I was planning to do plugs etc soon. That may be the only thing wrong now, I've already done the entire coolong system. Thanks for the input.

6. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Cool, let us know how ya make out!

7. if your truck keeps idleing rough try cleaning your iac (idle air control) its located on intake looks like this (i think this is off a 2000 explorer 4.0)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  8. OP
    rangeragain

rangeragain New Member

Update: I put plugs in this morning, it had Champions that had burned to about .060 gap. I have never liked Champion, I put Autolites in. I cleaned the whole air intake system out, it was slightly dirty but not bad for 150K. Lastly as 06whitelightning suggested I cleaned the IAC. It it located right on back of the Throttle Body and the screws point at the cab. It's quite a challenge to get the lower screw back in but it can be done. The truck idles nicely now, I think I'm going to put a set of wires on when my mileage check comes in just because these look like OEM. Thanks guys for all the suggestions, I'm very satisfied with the way it is running.

9. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

That is great news! Glad we could help out!

10. glad you got it fixed

11. PeterMartin

PeterMartin Guest

Luxury car

You don't have the time then let it allow to done it by the expertise of it. the will check everything which may cause the problem and fixed it.