I changed everything and am can't find the problem... (89 Ranger 2.3 dual plug 5 spd)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by champ25523, May 18, 2012.

1. champ25523

champ25523 New Member

I have an 89 ranger 2.3 dual plug, 5 spd. I changed the engine in it to a 92 ranger 2.3. It ran great, had tons of power and then all of a sudden it starts bucking and jerking after start up (Revs up and then goes to low idle till it picks up and acts normal, also sometimes quits). It also bucks and jerks during acceleration, sometimes (Usually during higher throttle). I replaced the fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, check the coil packs, vacuum lines, and seems like just about everything.

Any ideas? I'm at a lose guys. Need some help.

Thanks in advance,
    Stephen

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

There are so many things that it could be, a laundry list. Plugs, wires, EGR, Catalytic converter and it can go on. I had a similar situation with a 93 2.3 and after dumping unnecessary money into trouble shooting it was as simple as 1 of the 2 coil packs were bad, bad plugs and bad wires. I really recommend checking the plugs, replacing them with the proper gap, replace the wires and make sure those coil packs are in fact good. Check the Catalytic converter and EGR system as well

4. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Sounds like a similar condition I had when the truck was under load after I dropped in my brand new motor. Ended up being cracked ceramic on one spark plug.

Any codes??? IE Check Engine lights??

x2 on everything Hooligan said.

5. pooleo

pooleo New Member

lets start by doing the coil pack mod. Run both coil pack wires in this order from #1 (top right) and go clockwise. 1,2,4,3. That will determine if a coil pack is bad. Unlikely both have failed. This will also assure you have not crossed a wire by accident.

6. OP
    champ25523

champ25523 New Member

I have new wires and plugs on it, check the coil packs and they are good and wired correctly. There is no catalytic converter on it. Like I said it ran great after changing, but a few days later it started this. Ill double check all this but I don't think it will help. The egr didnt have the gasket on it when I put it back together, but I put the egr gasket on and it still does it.