How To: Replace Ball Joints 2WD third gen - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'How-To Submissions' started by ZRanger28, Feb 17, 2013.

1. ZRanger28

ZRanger28 Got boost?

I nor RF.Net take any responsibility in the damage you may cause of injury to yourself from undertaking this task. If you feel you do not have the capabilities to do this task, please take it to a perfessional

Okay now that that is said ON TO THE TECH!!!

Also always use jack stands to support a vehicle never let it rest on the jack and ALWAYS wear safety glasses when performing repairs, got only gave us one set of eyes.

Anyways Here is how to replace the upper and lower ball joints on a third gen 2wd ranger, 4WD is not much different so you can do the same with just a littel extra work and thinking off the article.

First jack up the truck, place on jack stands, and remove tire.

[​IMG]

Then remove brake caliper and hang it up

[​IMG]

Then remove the dust cap on the rotor and remove the nut holding your wheel bearing on, and remove the rotor, you should now be staring at this after you remove the three bolts holding the dust shield on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now dissconnect the tie rod end and either use a ball joint puller/press or a pickle fork. ( as a last resort you can use a pry bar and put downward pressure on the tie rod end then hit the stud with the nut on it with a hammer and it should break free )

Then remove the pinch bolt on the upper ball joint

[​IMG]

Then work the alignment bushing out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now remove castle nut on lower ball joint, you will need a long wrench for this with a box end.

[​IMG]

And do the same as the tie rod end to remove the ball joint from the i beam.

I used a pickle fork for the easiest/quickest route.

now you will need a vise to clamp the steering knuckle and spindle assembly in.

and now hammer out the lower ball joint ( this requires straight brute force and a good hammer)

[​IMG]

Now remove the upper in the same fashion only now use a long big punch to reach the ball joint base.

[​IMG]

To install upper ball joint start it and find a socket you can fit on it good without hitting the bal and beat the living crap out of it

[​IMG]

Now install snap ring

[​IMG]

Now install the lower ball joint with a big c clamp and a socket set up like this, you will need to put pressure on it with the c clamp and then hit knuckle with a hammer and repeat till its seated. its a major PITA

[​IMG]

Now install everything in reverse of pullin apart and be sure to install new cotter pins and torque it down to spec

Article Written by: Colin Shriver Owner of Lost Cause Garage

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Great write up Colin! Thanks for the contribution and good to see you on again!

4. OP
    ZRanger28

ZRanger28 Got boost?

hey man i had to update the thread i forgot the install of bal joints any way you can put that in lol.

Hey jsut cause i have a full size doesnt mean iv forgotten all my ranger buddies!

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

No problem man, I recopied it! Have you posted pics of your new truck? I can't remember!

6. OP
    ZRanger28

ZRanger28 Got boost?

Yes but im thinking of doing my build thread of it on here too so i can show off the newest project and work im doing to it.

And thank you!!!!

7. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Hell yeah! Do one, I'd like to see it.