hmm.... 4.0 SOHC video inside

Discussion in '4.0 Engine' started by 06FordFX4, Nov 17, 2012.

1. 06FordFX4

06FordFX4 Canadian Redneck

just noticed this today, never noticed it before. just curious about it. not to woried as no check engine light or anything is on. still runs like normal.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PIwNYkeGo4[/ame]

the sound is what has me curious. exhaust leak? the "tick tick tick" not really a ticking sound, but thats the best way i can describe it

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. edgeman4.0

edgeman4.0 2nd amendment activist

Timing chain rattle.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using tapatalk 2

4. OP
    06FordFX4

ah ok.
    thought they fixed that issue in like 03 lol.

5. OP
    06FordFX4

So lately it's been colder, -10 tp -15 degrees celcius or so.

The sound doesn't sound like a ticking like it did when it was warmer, it's more faint, and more of a drawn out super quiet thump. Hard to explain. But I took video, and with my exhaust it just can't be heard on video lol.

Still sound like timing chain is the culprit? I've been busy lately and really haven't had time to investigate. So far I have a few suggestions to look for, just wondering if anyone has anything else to add so I have more to go on.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  6. OP
    06FordFX4

bumping this.

another video

just want as many opinions as possible.
    I to believe its the timing chain guide that has let loose or something

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Qag9NBFiQ[/ame]

just want as many opinions as possible before i ask the dealer about looking into it.

7. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Nothing beats hearing sounds in person, but I can assure you it's not a timing chain (currently trying to find my before engine swap vid of mine with horrible horrible timing chain slappings). It sounds consistent...I'm willing to bet it's more exhaust leak than anything else. Also, these 4.0's have pretty loud fuel injectors...could be that too but doubtful. What we hear is spaced out way too much to be fuel injectors.

Something to also consider, pulleys. If you've done some major water splashing or if she's got some miles on her, pulleys can make noise if their bearings are starting to go. Perhaps try a Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt then go from there.

8. OP
    06FordFX4

yeah I was thinking it could be an exhaust manifold leak as well. got one on an 2001 caravan, and it sounds similar just slower, and louder (big leak)

what would be the best way to check for an exhaust leak?

its seen some water splashing, but not a ton.

only has 159K kms (98,000 miles)