High RPM between Shifts

Discussion in 'Maintenance Shop' started by Ranger Rookie, May 29, 2009.

1. Ranger Rookie

Ranger Rookie New Member

98 Ranger 3.0L manual Tranny.
    When I shift between gears the Rpm's Stay high. In order to lower R's I have to ride the brake in higher gear till idle R's or let out clutch till obtain the idle RPM. Any suggestions?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. 95 Ranger

95 Ranger New Member

I would try your idle postioning sensor it could be going bad. Try that first to see if it works>

4. diana

diana New Member

Hi I am having high idle problems too only in P and N. my 99 idles at about 1500rpm. I just had the alt. and batt. replaced did you have any of that type of work done?

5. OP
    Ranger Rookie

Ranger Rookie New Member

High R's

Diana,
    I bought mine used a little bit ago. I did replace the Idle Air Control w/o success. Service engine light is not lit. But when I unplug the IAC the engine act's proper except when cold it runs to low RPM but a lot better. IAC can run $40 - $125.. I found out later you can check the IAC with a ohm meter across the 2 prungs, which should be around 10 Ohms I forgot the tolerance.

I did not try the Idle Position Sensor yet. there to is way with a VOM.

Let me know what you come up with.

Ranger Rookie.

6. Bill

Bill New Member

My question to both concerned parties, what is the RPM at idle? Is it what you think is correct? Any typoe of intake leak?

7. OP
    Ranger Rookie

Ranger Rookie New Member

High R's

Checked throttle/cruise cables, all slide free, no binding.
    Replaced IAC, No change. Replaced old IAC back on T-Body took ohm readings on new and old IAC about the same, In speck.
    Idle's 1500 R's, unplug IAC R's drop down to 600-700 while cold 900-1000 when warm. between shifting R's stay at 3000, Quick hit throttle R's may drop to 1500, at stop Need to Hold brake and let out clutch to get r's down to 1000-1200.
    Positive, NO VACUUM leak.
    Factory (unadjustable) Idle positon sensor, Cheesy phillip head screws are rusted and one is partially stripped. Was told they vary rarely go bad.

No engine light. until I unplug IAC. (doen't seem to effect performance or economy).

8. Bill

Bill New Member

Memory tells me there is a mechanical screw on throttle body, with IAC unplugged that screw was set to about 400 RPM (just enough to maintain idle). Reason was the IAC is supposed to control idle speed the mechanical screw was used to just prevent throttle plate binding. Not to be used to set actual idle speed.

9. brazospete7

brazospete7 New Member

+My 2001 xlt returns a 1537 obd II code and has the check engine soon light on,my question is where is the idle air control sensor located and how do you check its function?