Help...1993 ford ranger v6 fuel problem

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by Shawn Watson, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Shawn Watson

Shawn Watson New Member

I have a 1993 ford ranger v6 4x4. I'm having to pull my fuel relay to start it. Once it's started you have to plug the relay back in for it to stay running. I also have another problem. The truck runs great for about the first minute you drive it. After that it's like the motor has the choke on. Once I get in like 3rd or 4th gear and lug it out. It goes away. The problem returns if you sit at an idle for about 10 minuites. ( btw I'm new to the whole forum thing so please bear with me lol ) anything helps.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. ZappyBear

ZappyBear Member

I have no idea, but might have one once a few questions are answered. That's a might, this seems to be a very odd problem. Does the pump prime up when you turn the key from the off position to the on position? (Fuel pump runs a few seconds and quits) Or does it run continuously? If it runs continuously, your relay contacts may be stuck, or a wire coming off your relay is shorted to ground somewhere. If that doesn't help at all, check your fuel pressure regulator, if its too high at idle, either your return line is pinched, or fuel pressure regulator is stuck. Another possibility is ruptured fuel pressure regulator diaphram which would pump unmetered gas into the intake possibly making it too rich for starting.