headlight bulb recommendations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mcdonald58, Dec 4, 2012.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

tonight while i was driving i noticed that my headlights are pretty bad. so my plan is to wetsand my headlights and get new bulbs. so im looking for suggestions on what brand of headlight i should get. i want to stay with halogen and be pretty inexpensive.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

the best IMHO would be siverstar ultras....

4. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i want something a little cheaper. im looking for something thats mid grade. im pretty sure i still have the original ones in my headlights and they are really dim.

5. RoadRanger

RoadRanger -Skylark65-

are the headlights themselves yellowed? new headlights could make a really big differance. i found one new light for my dad's van at carlisle, got it installed and now the one new light is super bright, the old one might as well be a candle glued to the hood it's so dim, lol.

6. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

I'm not sure but they are really bad. I can only see like 15 in front of me. Our trucks use a single bulb for headlights and high beams right?

7. RoadRanger

RoadRanger -Skylark65-

8. 06FordFX4

06FordFX4 Canadian Redneck

Honestly, going for cheap wont really be much of an improvement man. Bulb wise.

I think you will benefit more from cleaning up your lenses. Halogens are only so good, especially cheap ones.

Even the mid range will only be brighter for so long before they kinda wear out a bit and are back to being dull.

Another thing to check would be how they are aimed. Who knows, they may be way off. I know mine are due to the weight in mu bed for winter and it's a lot dimmer.

9. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

^that...i have silverstars in my F150 and love them...but nothing compares to the projector retrofit in my ranger

10. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

I changed mine to a set of [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00480GZ8O/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01"]THESE[/ame] earlier this year & I'm pretty happy with them.

They're not as white as the silverstar ultras, but these should last a lot longer... and they're less than half the price :thumbup:

+1 on cleaning the lenses too. I was too lazy to sand & polish my old lenses, so I got a set of aftermarket lights on evilBay & they made a big difference.

Some 400 - 800 wet dry paper, buffing & polishing compounds & a weekend of nice weather will make a big difference in the old, faded, oxidized lenses.

11. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

thanks for the suggestions. i think i might get the ones that buggman recommended. i will either get plastx and wetsand my headlights or get the meguiars kit. has anyone used this kit?

12. 06FordFX4

I've used the meguiare's kit in an old caravan. Was pretty good results. The more you work at it, the better it gets.

13. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

Last time I was in the tire center at my local wally world, they had a display where they were offering the lens restoration services... something like $34.97 or something.
    Not a bad deal for someone who doesn't have the equipment or time to do it themselves.

14. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

that does sound like a good deal. but i would rather spend the 10-15 on the materials and learn how to do them. so i can do it in the future.

15. 06FordFX4

It's super simple. All you need is a drill. And time lol.

16. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Here is my suggestion and it may not be legal but it works for me.

JC Whitney (the junk auto part place) has 100/65 watt 9007 bulbs.

I don’t see them anymore, just the 100/80 watt bulbs.

You should use a new harness capable of handling the 100 high beams, the harness with two relays included.

17. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

I want something thats legal and plug and play.

18. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

They have 80/65 watt bulbs out there too.

19. 06FordFX4

I just picked up some ultras last night.

If its not snowing tonight I'll re aim my lights, and out them in.

Will try to remember to take pictures each step of the way to show the difference.

Headlights are a tad dirty as well, so I'll take pics before, and after cleaning to show the difference a clear lens does make.

I'd say they're about dirty enough to simulate a lens that's a tad cloudy and faded.

20. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

What is the wattage of the new lights ?

21. 06FordFX4

No idea lmao.

But, they are on sale at amazon.com for $29.

Great deal!