Front end hum.

Discussion in '1989 - 1992 Ford Ranger' started by Appletonbill, May 17, 2012.

1. Appletonbill

Appletonbill New Member

Just noticed the last couple weeks that I have a humming noise that sounds like it's coming from the front. At first I thought it was tire hum but now I'm not so sure. The tone of the hum/growl goes up or down with the speed. Any ideas on what it could be? I did the bearing test when I had her up to put on my new wheels. There was very minimal play when I pushed and pulled at the 12 and 6 position, maybe an 1/8". unsure:

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Thats enough play. Pop the dust cap off and readjust your spindle nut.

4. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

Any play is bad play

5. OP
    Appletonbill

Appletonbill New Member

6. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I agree 1/8 play is alot and it goes fast. My hyundai had very minimal play, hummed like a MF'r and it ate up a new tire in a matter of a few months

7. adsm08

adsm08 New Member

Don't get them too tight or you will end up with another noise.

8. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Mechanic did that to my Hyundai, went through 2 bearings in less than a year

9. adsm08

adsm08 New Member

I did that to myself last summer when I did my D-35 swap. It was my first go with the auto-hub hardware and I couldn't find the right spot for the retainer and ended up with the right side over-tightened. Was fine for a week and then started to buzz.

For the record, when adjusting a TTB front with auto hubs, a tiny bit of play is acceptable because of how the nut retainer works. Sometimes you can't get all the play out without making it too tight.