F1fiddy question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by buggman, Sep 19, 2012.

1. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

I know a couple of you guys did the full size F150 mod & I saw one today that sparked my interest.
    It's an 03 std cab 2wd auto v6 with 120k, plain interior no power windows or locks, lowered 3-5", no major body damage just a few small dents looks like from hail, a few interior panels behind the seats are missing, rubber floor - no carpet :(

The only major issue I saw was the front wheels looked like they had about 1" or more of camber in them... the top of the wheels were in about that much from the bottoms. It's setting on low profile tires & 20" chrome rims that aren't bad looking, but the camber leads me to believe that whoever did the lowering didn't do things right & it may need to be re-done to keep the tires from wearing out every 3 days.

The guy said the front had drop spindles installed, but I don't think I've ever seen a lowered vehicle with that much camber, even on a vehicle with the frame setting on the ground.

The price isn't bad, but if it's gonna cost $X to fix the front end I'm either gonna offer them $2X less or make them fix it before we really talk money.

Thoughts? Opinions?

And don't worry, I'm not getting rid of the Ranger... just considering a newer truck so I can have one torn apart to work on & not worry about not having transportation in the meantime.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

i wouldnt on that one...id wait for one with a v8

4. OP
    buggman

I believe it's got the 4.2Lv6, I'd like a v8 but need something that's easier on gas & cheap on insurance.

I don't have the need for a ton of power for pulling anything other than my little 5x8 trailer & I'm long past my hot rodding days so I don't need to melt the tires either :D

Not sure how the v6 would hurt the value when/if I ever get rid of it though.

5. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

honestly the difference between the 4.2 v6 and the v8s is negligable MPG wise...i get about 13 city and 18-20 highway with my 3V 5.4

6. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

I've had experience with the 4.2L in an a single cab long box f150 and its a great engine, not fast but it gets the job done. The one I am refering to had a manual. I also know 2 people who had the 4.2L with manual and were extremely reliable and decent on gas. The only complaint is that it shifts like a big rig. If its too your liking then its worth haggling the guy for a lower price or some repairs.

7. DangerRanger99

DangerRanger99 who wants a v8?

my f150 is a v8 and im glad there a heavier truck so it helps a lot...id say wait for a v8 but good thing bout a v6 is less likely a kids owned it and hot roded it real bad...but a v8 is the way to go even a mpg or 2 difference is worth the power when u need it

8. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

yeah my 5.4 is great on gas. Youll be disappointed with the 6cylinder hell im disappointed power wise with my 5.4

9. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

you cant compare the old 5.4L design to the new one especially since that era of 5.4L had a 4 spd auto and it was a 2 valve setup and not a 3 valve

10. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

you can compare everything about them... Hence what tey did when they thought of the design. There both 4spd autos, 5.4's then different valve spark plug set up so on and so on its crazy lol. All I know is im going with the Hemi on the next truck.

11. OP
    buggman

Here's a couple pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like the previous owner did a little modding... turn signals, grille, wheels, tail lights. The tonneau cover didn't seem to be the right one for the truck as it sat about 1 1/2" inside the bed rails all around... maybe that's the way they're supposed to mount, but the one I had on my ranger went all the way out to the edges of the bed sides.

Still need more info on the drop job... I'd really like to have airbags so I can adjust the height myself.

Not much room behind the seat for a amp & subs though... I might be able to squeeze in my 2x 12" rockford subs but I'll have to build a custom box :(

Don't know how I'll like having a std cab truck again, let alone without all the power goodies. I suppose I could add power locks & windows sometime in the future though.

Still just looking around & this is the first thing that caught my eye... not to mention I've gotta sell a crap ton of led's to pay for it :cry:
    I'd kinda like a suv, maybe an explorer or the boxy style jeep cherokee... something with some room for all my junk inside plus a little extra room.

12. Bwad

Bwad New Member

It might just be in need of an alignment, Terry. I would ask him if he had it aligned when the drop was done and if he has a printout of the specs before and after it was done. The only reason I say this is because on a 2wd, 3" lower in the front should be an EASILY attainable alignment job.

13. OP
    buggman

So... upon closer inspection... I don't think this one is gonna become part of my fleet anytime soon.

Someone cut a C notch in the frame, not sure why as there was plenty of room for full travel with the stock frame location. Looks like a 6 year old went to town with an angle grinder inside the bed & cut a huge part of the floor out & screwed down a home made "cover" over the rear drive shaft. No way to store more than a couple bags of groceries & most of that will fall through the gaps.
    Tires have very little tread, one wheel is dented & probably needs to be replaced.
    Several other things that I didn't like & don't want to spend more than the value of the truck to fix to make it a safe daily driver :(

It looks kinda nice, but I don't think this one will be worth all the trouble.
    Oh well, on to the next one.

14. Bwad

Bwad New Member

Oh well. There will be some idiot that buys it because it "looks cool".