Exhaust ?'s

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by seriouscoin1, Apr 9, 2012.

1. seriouscoin1

seriouscoin1 New Member

K, so I want to do something with my exhaust. I believe I have a flowmaster 40 or 44, no sure. No markings to tell me what it is. It sounds nice, but it looks like I have 3 cats. I think the 2 that are behind each header is a resonator right?? Then there is a bigger one, the cat. Can I cut the resonators out? Will it give it any power? Sound? Just curious and I am constantly looking to change her :) I eventually want headers etc.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Don't touch the resonators. There's O2 sensors that will be affected and kill your gas mileage and in turn mess with your engine. The cat, you can gut that out and it will give you a bit of power and some sound.

4. OP
    seriouscoin1

seriouscoin1 New Member

Really? I did not see any sensors on them? I will have to check again. What about using bigger piping then with headers?

5. I know I have sensors after the resonators and before the cat. So yours should be the same. As for headers and bigger piping, that would give you a real good boost in power and some real good sound. Member Brinker88 has headers and a gutted cat leading to a Super 44 and he said it sounds amazing

6. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

its also a federal offense messing with your cats

7. pooleo

pooleo New Member

Remove the cat. Leave the ones up by the manifolds alone. There is a common misconception about o2 sensors. They detect oxygen in the exhaust. And then tell the computer to lean out or richen up. Even with cats removed they will still function. They just set off the check engine light becuase they are out of their parameters.

You should have one back by the cat, keep it there. Have an 02 bung welded in some pipe and put 02 back in. The pipe is the best way to go. Remove cat and place a pipe in there.

8. pooleo

pooleo New Member

Another thing you can do is try and find an older Y-pipe without the resonators. o2 sensors will still be there, but will just be pipe.

9. OP
    seriouscoin1

seriouscoin1 New Member

I was told it was legal her in Utah to take out the resonators, but cat is required. I am coming from the DSM world (eclipse, talon etc.) so I know I can do it to them, and not have any side effects. I just wanted to see if it effected the truck. Now that it would make it run funny, I will leave it.

10. pooleo

pooleo New Member

it will run fine. I ran mine, actually 2 of my trucks I have ran with no cats. Altho they dont have the resonators. My 97 and my 99 only have a muffler.

11. carrkool

carrkool New Member

exhaust tips

first never build your exhaust bigger than you plan to build your motor. to big will cause you to lose back pressure, power. mpg.

Now as for what you are hinting at seems your not opening the motor and building up so

2 to 2 1/2 in headers droping into a single down pipe with o2 sensors

cat eliminator google it there use to be a company that sold oem style cats that where gutted out and a straight pipe installed in it.

ensure you keep o2 sensors in place as with out them you will mess with the ecm operations( fuel air mixure which can lead to higher or lower water temp oil temp) anyways good luck