Did my transmission die?

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by apapp77, Apr 23, 2011.

1. apapp77

apapp77 New Member

I have a 1999 ford ranger that ate it at 185,000 miles. The fuel pump died in the mountains, not much I could do.

Fast forward 6 months (I got busy) - replaced the engine with a 34,000 mile engine, and it ran great for a week. Then things started going wrong.
    Drove fine for a mile this morning, then started sputtering. Threw a ton of codes. Replaced both O2 sensors. Now it idles GREAT. Still sputters in gear. Letting it idle along, it runs ok. Shifts with a clunk from R to N to D to 2. Won't shift to 1st or 4th. Realized it isn't changing gears on its own. Can manually shift to second and third while moving, never reaches 1 or 4. It runs fine while in its proper speed and gear, but horrible outside of it.

Note: it sat for 6 months, but has run decent for 250 miles. always felt a bit sluggish, but i figured it was the O2 sensors.

So... Did I just get myself a new transmission for Easter?:sick: Is it just the solenoids?:help:

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    apapp77

apapp77 New Member

Looks great, but i have a 4R44E... pretty similart, i'm guessing. For anyone else that is looking for the same problem, I also found this PDF:TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS FOR THE 4R44E & 5R55E

Seems like this is a good second step after the video you sent me. I think with these two, a couple bucks and a trip to O'reilley (autozone doesn't carry any transmission stuff - they need to make room for more LED's and floormats) I might actually pull this off... :) Keep the suggestions coming I need all the advice I can get!:thumbup:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  4. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Valve body gasket it almost sounds like...they're cheap as hell and a simple fix

5. PeterMartin

PeterMartin Guest

obviously the more reading on the car engine e causes the more possibility to get failure of engine.