Diagnosing my '94's recent problem...

Discussion in '2.3 Engine' started by steveb89, May 30, 2013.

1. steveb89

steveb89 New Member

Hi guys, so I just started noticing that my ranger does this weird thing as I'm driving sometimes (I've always seen it in lower gears if that makes a difference, and it's only been about a week since this first happened and when I noticed it again) where it will lurch backwards as if I just downshifted, then recover and behave normally after a second or two. In addition, when I was at a stoplight today I started to put it in first and it died on me... This concerned me but then later today as I headed out to the gym the engine simply wouldn't rev as I pressed the pedal to shift to second gear. I pumped the pedal a few times and it caught on but wouldn't stay rev'ed so I quickly turned around and re-parked.

Now I'm freaking out because something is DEFINITELY wrong but I'm not very automotive savvy so I have no idea what it could be. My immediate thoughts are something fuel related such as fuel pump or maybe a valve in the exhaust but I really have no idea. Does anyone have ideas of what it could be and how I could check to see? I'm planning on taking it in this weekend to a mechanic to get it looked at but I do need to get to work tomorrow!